Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ocean View 2005-P Nickel. New Type Of Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 325Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  02:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 4thGenCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought several 2005 Nickel rolls from my credit union in 2005.I was told by the teller that handled my request at that time, the coin rolls had just come in about an hour before me. So, if I bought a full roll she assured me that they were untouched/ uncirculated. I cannot confirm with 100% validity they were unc but I believe it is definitely a possibility. I just opened up one of the rolls that I received that day recently.(December 2nd, 2022) This was so I could show the coins inside to both of my sons and begin to get them interested in collecting. One of the Nickels I gently removed from this roll was very unusual and unlike anything I have ever seen. If you look at Jeffersons nose very closely, it appears to be double struck. Also, over the entirety of the coin obv/rev it appears to have "wrinkling"? (Sorry. Only way I can think to describe it)
I only hope that it shows up clearly enough in the pictures I upload.
Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me any kind of information or speculation as to what I have found. You are appreciated.

Edited by 4thGenCollector
12/03/2022 02:34 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10262 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a mint error, just post mint damage. It appears your nickel has taken a bath in acid.

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4thGenCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the info merclover. The teller must have given me the wrong info on that Nickel roll 17 years ago. Darn her!
Oh well! You win some. You lose more.
Edited by 4thGenCollector
12/03/2022 02:50 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48569 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I agree it is PMD. What did the paper roll wrapper look like?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10680 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid exposure, yes. In addition to the wrapper itself, what did the rest of the coins in the roll look like?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75209 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2359 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Were all the other coins in that roll uncirculated 2005Ps? For just one coin in such a roll to exhibit damage of that type would be unusual.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61062 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post strike damage. If weight is normal it may have been squeezed with sandpaper. If the weight is under, then it could be a mild acid dip. But just a damaged coin post strike.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
120816 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: