Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dime Roll Searching

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,450 / Views: 542,954Next Topic
Page: of 430
Pillar of the Community
United States
9371 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dimes and Subway...eat fresh and score silver.
Learn More...
United States
116397 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, TomM!

And that's a great find... if you scroll back a few pages, you'll find my silver dime hoard from early 2021 - 450 silver dimes in total including 9 Mercs (two trips to the same bank almost a month apart).

http://goccf.com/t/60961&whichpage=423#3360407 (400 coins)
http://goccf.com/t/60961&whichpage=422#3341859 (50 coins)
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TomM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A belated thank you for the welcome, John77. I've found your previous posts very informative, and that massive find was really something.

I recently crossed the 200 box mark and figured it was time for an update.

In 200 boxes, I've found 367 silver dimes (290 Roosevelt, 72 Mercury, and 5 Canadian silver). My average including hoards is 1.83 silvers per box; without hoards I find an average of 1.095 silvers per box. I have found two hoards so far, the first which I previously described.

I found my second hoard three weeks ago, from an unremarkable lunch break trip to a bank near my workplace. The lead teller doesn't like to give out coin, but let me exchange ten rolls I had gone through for ten CWR. Eight rolls were all clad, but two rolls contained a total of 53 silver dimes, including four Mercury dimes (photos below). Modern dimes, including 2021s, were mixed in. I went back the next day, but they had no other rolls.

In other news, I started separating Brinks boxes from CWR in my records back in April, and the difference is stark. I find a silver dimes about every four Brinks boxes, compared to the 1.83 per box figure for combined CWR and MWR (which would be even higher if I removed the Brinks boxes from this average). This does not count fresh 2021/22 boxes, which I do not unroll but typically swap for CWR from coin-stressed branches. Clad Canadians are likewise scarce in Brinks, which may indicate weight sorting somewhere upstream.

One of my banks has dropped Brinks and started to use a local supplier (Titan). They seem to be better for silver, but my sample size is small; I found a 1953 Canadian (below) in one of their rolls the other day.

I go to 60-70 banks each month, and I scarcely ever see marked dime rolls or hear of another collector who hunts dimes; this is in contrast to nickels, quarters, and especially halves. It puzzles me, because I'm having a great time, but perhaps other collectors have had a bad experience with Brinks MWR and moved to other denominations.

Learn More...
United States
116397 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In 200 boxes, I've found 367 silver dimes (290 Roosevelt, 72 Mercury, and 5 Canadian silver). My average including hoards is 1.83 silvers per box; without hoards I find an average of 1.095 silvers per box.
Excellent!
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TomM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, jbuck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stats...keep on hunting.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carloscoria to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had great luck with dimes pre pandemic. From April 2018 - December 2018 I averaged 7 dimes per 1000 searched. Now its much slower, but switched to halfs again. Silver finds are great at the moment.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TomM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an excellent average, carloscoria. In my area there are many half hunters but dimes attract basically no attention.

In my post from a few weeks ago, I mentioned that one of my banks has switched carriers from Brinks to a local company called Titan, with which I was not familiar.

I've been through a few Titan boxes and found them slightly better than Brinks, but not substantially better.

Well, I bought a Titan box of dimes yesterday and upon opening it, I noticed two silver enders, a 1962 and 195?.

Always the pessimist, I figured those might well be the only two - though of course, there were likely more.

And sure enough, there was more than two. . . in fact, there were 38 silvers! All Roosevelts. I've done ~40 MWR boxes (mostly Brinks), and my previous best had 4 silvers. Probably 30 of the 40 were skunks.

Needless to say, I'm sticking with Titan from now on!

Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsr12010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GREAT finds!! Dimes are tough to find silver
Learn More...
United States
116397 Posts
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TomM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, gsr12010 and jbuck!
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2022  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TomM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going through dimes tonight, I felt a penny in the roll and was ready to curse whoever cheated me out of nine cents. But now, I'm inclined to think it may have been an honest mistake, and I'm happy to forgive them.
Learn More...
United States
116397 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Going through dimes tonight, I felt a penny in the roll and was ready to curse whoever cheated me out of nine cents. But now, I'm inclined to think it may have been an honest mistake, and I'm happy to forgive them.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2022  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

A belated thank you for the welcome, John77. I've found your previous posts very informative, and that massive find was really something.

Thanks, TomM! Yeah, that find indeed was really something special!

And sorry for the delayed reply - haven't been around much because I recently had surgery on my left elbow and wrist for cubital tunnel syndrome. Quite amazing to find 38 silvers in a box - I rarely do boxes as I've had some pretty good success with un-boxed rolls, as you've seen.

Quote:

I go to 60-70 banks each month

That's awesome! I've always said the more different banks you hit, the better, as your chance of stumbling upon something really good increases - and there's always the opportunity to back to said bank and get more coin...

I used to do about 30 banks a month... but, thanks to the pandemic and gas prices, I had cut that to 10 before my injury.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Edited by John77
09/16/2022 3:00 pm
Page: of 430 Previous TopicReplies: 6,450 / Views: 542,954Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: