Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 Roosevelt Dime Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 16,322Next Topic  

Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2010  1:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add petecan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
the words and numbers are appearing on the bottom rim

of this coin, what would the proper terminology be of this error?

thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
4811 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2010  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2010  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petecan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how would you determine this, the coin is mark free except for the affected areas..
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2010  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KisNap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that the "D" is filled. Could this be because of die wear and the devices are extending to the outside?
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2010  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waredu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the reeding is ok. I would call it slightly (very slightly) off-center.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7629 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2010  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slightly off center and die wear. Basically more a curiosity than an error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2010  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to examine this coin more closely. It might be a rare form of die deformation I've designated "design creep". If you would be willing to do this, please contact me at mdia1@aol.com. -- Mike Diamond
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2010  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DylansDad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pete...if his signature line isn't confirmation enough...Mike Diamond is the THE expert on error coins...take him up on his offer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bona fide example of design creep is reported in this week's Coin World (April 20, 2015). It affects a run of 2014-P nickels. The peripheral letters on the reverse face (struck by the hammer die) are cut off at the coin's edge.

Regrettably, this article has not been placed in the public domain.
Edited by mikediamond
04/05/2015 11:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3644 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slamnbass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome-I don't have the April issue yet is this also going to be in the monthly or only the weekly issue? I'd like to read about this...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2226 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's in the weekly issue -- this week's issue. The online version is currently available for subscribers.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2015  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bentley13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was there ever anymore information on the off centered 77 Dime? I have one that is slightly more misaligned and I'm curious

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3259 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2015  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bentley13 to CCF
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 16,322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: