Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

7 Mace And 2 Candareens

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 48,585Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1469 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2020  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both are fake but the OP doesn't seem to care.
More wrong besides the character thickness.
Learn More...
United States
118490 Posts
Netherlands
2 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bulliongreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jbuck - Thanks for the welcome :-)

@Albert: Indeed, I'm not a collector of rare or old coins, though I do collect many coins of the .9999 variety - where I very much care about real vs fake !

Meanwhile, I suspected these were fake, but what caught me off guard was the remoteness of where I found them. There wasn't a town for at least 100 miles every direction - smack bang in the middle of the desert so I half suspected they might be genuine given how remote it was. Alas, if they were I might have been tempted to sell them.

Thanks for the advice and check up y'all.
Learn More...
Australia
14811 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2020  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've been meaning to look into these coins I got in the Gobi Desert in Mongolia last year at the side of a road where a trader was selling various rocks and things that appeared to have been found in the desert. They were really black when I got them but cleaned them up once back home.

Both are 37 grms in weight and neither are magnetic.

I'm curious since I got them - regardless of fake or genuine I love them as it was a great treasure to remind us of a fantastically special place.

Hello and welcome. Sadly, as others have pointed out, your coins are not genuine.

The main giveaway for the first coin is that the two sides do not match, as is the case for some of the earlier coins in this thread. The English-language side claims to be a 1 dollar coin from Hupeh Province; the Chinese-language side claims it is a 1 tael coin from Hunan Province. Such mis-matching of dies is common among the lower-quality replicas. 37 grams is close to the proper weight a 1 tael coin would have; a dollar should weigh 7 mace 2 candareens, or about 27 grams.

The second item is not an actual circulating coin; it is a copy of a scarce pattern 1 tael coin in the name of Kwangtung Province. They were produced on speculation by European mint and none ever made it to China; any such coin offered for sale in a street market in China will definitely be fake.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
New Zealand
1 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2022  02:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kiwicoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope this works. Had this coin for a fee years now came from my wife's grandfather's collection it was in a match box with some random coins I'm guessing it's fake finally decided to find out. Thanks for any help in advance

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17075 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2022  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF
Sorry but it is another counterfeit.
Learn More...
United States
118490 Posts
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 48,585Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: