Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Coins = A Hoard?

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 8,160Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh really jbuck
I almost pointed out your as an exception, but chose not to do so since you did not use the preferred zombie smilie.

Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NH collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I refer to my collection as an accumulation, my daughter calls it hoarding. I collect only one type of coin, and specialize in that area. After 50+ years of coin collecting, I now focus one one item. True , I have many of that item. More than most people think exist. Currently it is a collection. If I bury it in the ground, and someone discovers it 50 years from now, they will call it a hoard.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tryna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, the people who get on American Pickers who have building after building of say, chairs, like Hippie Mike ( I have actually met his wife) is this a hoarder or collector?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6370 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it depends on the rarity of the coins involved. A find of 40 or so 1652 Pine Tree coins would be considered a hoard, while Chinese cash or wheat cents need to be found in the thousands to be considered a hoard.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjweber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stand by this... If you could pay for a family vacation in face value of the coins you're hoarding... You might be a hoarder
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If two guns is an arsenal, then three coins can be a hoard. Bury them in the yard, it becomes a cache.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I stand by this... If you could pay for a family vacation in face value of the coins you're hoarding... You might be a hoarder

I heard a 'funny man's voice' when I read this!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every time I read more post on this thread I start to wonder
what I have ....

If I have 10,000 clad Washington quarters in my collection,
does that mean my collection is a hoard?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're in good company either way GR!
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjweber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do we have to make a distinction between a hoard or a collection? I mean a hoard is a collection but I don't know if a collection is necessarily a hoard...
Pillar of the Community
United States
576 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I would say that in the context of coin collecting a hoard is a group of coins, previously unknown to the community, having sufficient numbers to affect the market value of the coin or its perceived rarity. For example, if I send one 1909 s vdb cent to PCGS, get a MS-66 grade and sell it, it will not affect the market trends. If I send them all my rolls of BU 1909 s vdb cents to PCGS and suddenly list 800 of them at MS-66 on eBay, this will affect the market. In this contest, it is a hoard.

(actually, I don't own any 1909 s vdb cents)

There is also another answer. If I have a lot of old coins and I put them in a jar to sell on eBay, it is called a hoard. Calling it a hoard increases the sale price considerably
Edited by Susuman
03/22/2016 10:41 pm
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2016  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Truth!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2016  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny what a hoard is. Seems it's more likely said by someone that doesn't think it is a good thing to save/buy. I like paxbit's statement. so true.
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the follow up question is what do you do with a horde e.g. 1000 + coins?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20170 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In reply to your question. 2
just carl
Page: of 4
Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 8,160Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05