Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 Kennedy Half Dollar - Wrong Planchet / Off-Metal Error

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 17,361Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1921 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2012  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Genuine on the outside, fake on the inside. A similar coin was recently discussed on the Collector's Universe forum:

(046) Not Allowed - Auto-Removed &threadid=871137
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2012  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCentMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my understanding, to dumb down what he said: 2 Real Silver Kennedy's were taken then shaved down until there was no silver. They were then "glued" together with another type of metal (the blackish coloring metal) then struck by (what appears to be) authentic 1967 Kennedy half dollar Dies. Correct?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1921 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally incorrect. Read my description again. Another possibility is that one half dollar was cut in half horizontally and then each half had the 80% Cu/20% Ag core ground off as far as the clad layer. Then the two clad layers were affixed to a false core of base metal. After that, crude fake reeding was applied to the edge.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCentMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, its kind of hard to understand what you said. So 2 coins were taken and shaved down (1 on the obverse, 1 on the reverse) then glued together with metal? There was no re-striking involved correct? I don't understand how the outside isn't silver if it was just 2 coins glued together. If they were real Kennedy's they would have been silver right?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1921 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would assume that the clad layers are 80% silver and 20% copper. The " tissue test" isn't particularly trustworthy. When I did the tissue test, your coin looked pretty much the same as a comparison silver-clad half dollar.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCentMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, weird. It showed up black and featureless every time I did the tissue test on it whereas my silver Kennedy's were white and I could see their faces through the tissue instead of a black blob.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if this was an amateur magician's constructed coin. Homemade for a particular trick?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1921 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt it. It's not attracted to a magnet. Figuring out motive and mindset is a tall order.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1921 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2012  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2012  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks similar to the 1967 Half Dollar in Coin World magazine last week.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCentMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is the coin from Coin World. :)
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2012  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, with the link to CW right there above my last post.
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys I found 2 jfk halfs (66 and a 69) that both weigh over 12g. They are obviously silver but show no clad on the edges. Is that weight out of tolerance for a 40% or do I got something here?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45140 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The 1965-1970-D Halves were 40% silver.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 17,361Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05