Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,700 / Views: 143,013Next Topic
Page: of 114
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1936 Threepence. Yet to receive.

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
327 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gothic florin 1852.

With this beautiful coin I increase my collection of British coins with 100 %! So you can tell that Britain is not my focus area

I generally have these criteria that define what I collect: It should be French and it should be beautiful or special - but I do on occasion disregard the first criterion. A Gothic florin in good condition I have been on the outlook for for some time, and I am very happy to have acquired this one. I consider this coin to be among the top five most beautiful coins, all categories. (And no, my other British coin does not qualify to be on that list .)
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With this beautiful coin I increase my collection of British coins with 100 %! So you can tell that Britain is not my focus area

YES its a Very Beautiful coin indeed and a welcomed change of pace from the mundane.. congratulations and I hope you continue to add to your collection..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8803 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Gothic Florin is a heck of a place to start a British coin collection. Consider me officially envious!
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
378 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful Gothic florin. For me it is the Number 1 design of any coin. Anyroada on a less iconic pairing but still 2 nice Silver coins of a bygone era 1916 .925 silver sixpence really nice straight coin lustre and all the right colour tones you would expect to see even though my pics are limiting the coins true look a little.Second coin is a mid grade 1919 .925 Silver Half Crown . I suspect somewhere in it's history like most silver coins someone has given it a light wipe over .

Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
378 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1887 Double Florin .925 silver Nicknamed "Mothers Ruin" due to that fact it is almost the same size as a Crown and in the dimly lit taverns and inns of old the bar maids often mistook them for crowns and of course it was their wages that suffered as they had to make up the difference.

Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
378 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not many are aware of this variety. It is seldom seen with very few examples known Queen Victoria 1844 .925 Silver Crown. This particular variety is I guess you would call a mint error . Around the bottom of the Bun the Die was unfinished and has left an L shaped raised portion around the outside of the hair

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
964 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins everyone

The Halfcrown finally arrived after 2 weeks (Our mail service here is very bad like Zimbabwe)

It is entirely legit!

Has the silver ring, feels silvery and not magnetic - just very worn and some cracking on Reverse. I would say as a Provincial piece, just not that well minted!

Even better is the coin is a scarce variety - the regnal year is NONO (9) meaning its 1697 not 1696 and with the small shield must be worth more than the $78 I paid for it.

That 1844 Halfcrown, the Gothic Florin and the gorgeous Double Florin just made me drool

Those are stunning coins and the GV pair as well!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has the silver ring

How do you do this without potentially damaging the coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
964 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  02:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Drop it down lightly and hear the "Ding"

I have plenty of scrap silver coins to compare it with.

That coin was hardly in perfect nick to start with, it has attracted so much controversy since I got it - yet it is completely legit. At most someone has altered it.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
378 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely top draw 1895 Bronze Farthing. More colours than a rainbow.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zoo, that's a lovely farthing!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
964 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree, a lovely piece and a lot better than my 95'
Page: of 114
Previous TopicReplies: 1,700 / Views: 143,013Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05