Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,210 / Views: 173,755Next Topic
Page: of 148
Valued Member
United Kingdom
124 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(Mintage 1656)

Nice. I saw one of the 4 coin 2012 sets the other day and the finish on them is incredible.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2490 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This next pair is a bit dicey as they are not really considered coins - but tokens, there is great story behind them involving Puffins and a businessman with an unflapable ego.

These are pair of Lundy Island tokens from 1929.

Minted in Birmingham for Martin Coles Harman who declared himself king of Lundy - a island in the Bristol channel known for its Puffins!

Mr Harman also issued boatloads of stamp like labels, again in denominations of puffins, one puffin was a penny and the promotion did not stop there, the coins had on the edges "Lundy lights and leads" Harman's other business. I have 90% of the Lundy "stamps" so the coins are a great addition!

The rather jowly king appears on the heads side and it was too much for the Realm who convicted him of uttering and fined him the Princely sum of £5.

The coins were ½ Puffin and 1 Puffin, they showed that much of a bird on each (In 1930 a set of stamps showing as many as 12 Puffins were also issued!)

Coins are scarce, but not outragelously rare (50k of each I think). Most are VF or better, I am lucky to have fairly shiny UNC (Although I suspect the ½ is AU as there is some rubbing on his Electrical highness's ample cheek!

Interesting birthday gift to myself.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
124 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are pretty cool. Thinking about a pocket full of Puffins and the puns you could do with them gave me a giggle.
Only thing I've got so far today is a 1927 florin.. But it's an Australian one so for another thread.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
124 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got this one for my daughters 1800 collection.
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These are pair of Lundy Island tokens from 1929.
Fascinating! Never heard of these before.

Quote:
Got this one for my daughters 1800 collection.
Excellent!
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of the Anglo Saxons Kings... Eadred 946-955!
Enjoy!

Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acquired some time ago. Was happy to get as a "throw-in" coin.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
124 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I don't think I've seen 'BYRNZ TANMO' before.
very nice coin.
Edited by Gainn
05/01/2021 6:50 pm
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Acquired some time ago. Was happy to get as a "throw-in" coin.
Nice adds!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
124 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another florin to add to the collection.
Previously cleaned but still pretty good.

Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another florin to add to the collection. Previously cleaned but still pretty good.
Looks nice!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
124 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks nice

Been going down the Australian florin rabbit hole so wasn't even looking but I find it hard to resist pre-20 stuff in good shape.
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Been going down the Australian florin rabbit hole so wasn't even looking but I find it hard to resist pre-20 stuff in good shape.
It is what happens when the bug bites!
Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got today. Possible cleaning.

Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just got today. Possible cleaning.
Looks decent enough!
Page: of 148
Previous TopicReplies: 2,210 / Views: 173,755Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05