Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dryer Coins Explained With Image Gallery, Many Pictured, Some Extreme

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 90,394Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
United States
2869 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is also a dryer coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8751 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had seen this post quite a while ago. I just got a Modern Canadian dime that was caught between the rotating drum and the chassis and just looked slightly reduced in size but the rim built up a little bit. I could hear something odd when the dryer was rotating, but didn't know what it was. I finally saw the dime caught between the rubber and the drum and fished it it. It never banged against anything ... it was just getting worn away by the drum.

Very interesting...this backs up the idea shown on the first page of this thread that coins can get trapped and roll around the drum.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5327 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent thread!

Thanks Earle42 for the detailed info and such great pictures.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First time I have read this thread. I have seen a lot of dryer coins over the years. I know that now. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8751 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very happy and pleased to know this is still helping people after all this time.
Learn More...
United States
120560 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very happy and pleased to know this is still helping people after all this time.

The importance of having good, detailed information in a topic.
Learn More...
United States
41810 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  10:15 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not all dryer coins have the rims flattened.

Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
See my collecting interest - (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8751 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you pull this one out from between the tubs of a commercial dryer or washing machine?
Learn More...
United States
120560 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you pull this one out from between the tubs of a commercial dryer or washing machine?
It came from here...

http://goccf.com/t/414693
Pillar of the Community
United States
8751 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that link jbuck.

I see that in that thread all that is made is a statement by the OP saying it is a dryer coin. This is at the end of the thread after everyone told him it was just a typically damaged/ground down coin.

The physics of this being tumbled between the metal tubs of a washer or dryer is not evident.

Most home machines are no longer two metal tubs, and I don't know what a coin being tumbled between plastic and metal would look like though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10594 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think commercial dryers at laundromats. I've known a teller for years, working at a branch that happens to serve a couple commercial laundromats. Occasionally, owner/operators come in to deposit/exchange coins from their business. Some of the coins exhibit strong dryer coin characteristics. These coins are typically discovered when then dryers are opened up for maintenance--the coins are found in the inner workings, with some showing signs of 'being in there' for long periods of time.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tenring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

And still is. Thank-you!
Edited by Tenring
01/13/2022 8:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8751 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Think commercial dryers at laundromats. I've known a teller for years, working at a branch that happens to serve a couple commercial laundromats. Occasionally, owner/operators come in to deposit/exchange coins from their business. Some of the coins exhibit strong dryer coin characteristics. These coins are typically discovered when then dryers are opened up for maintenance--the coins are found in the inner workings, with some showing signs of 'being in there' for long periods of time.

See the start of the thread.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dryer coin? 1944 Philippines 50 centavos
I found this in my parents' "penny jar" back in the 60s, and always thought that it had been hammered. But after reading this excellent thread by Earl42, I'm inclined to think it is a dryer coin. And yes, I had to acquired another one for comparison purposes, because coins!
By the way, my grandfather operated a dry cleaner in a small town from the '40s through the '70s. He had gathered more small pen knives and such than you would imagine.

Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
8751 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2022  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting.

I don't remember seeing a non-US dryer coin before.
Page: of 7
Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 90,394Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: