Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Processing Software?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,115Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2015  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bet the GIMP, being open-sourced and likely quite efficient, is fast, right?

The most taxing thing I ever have to do with it is rotate images. I've never run into anything nearly as resource-intensive as converting a RAW file, for instance.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8689 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2015  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to have to get more comfortable with GIMP, since Photoshop went cloud/subscription-only. When I next upgrade my PC, I doubt I'll be able to get the old Photoshop license transferred to the new machine.

It looks like GIMP has plenty of features, but after using Photoshop for years (for typical photos and also astrophotos that often need extensive post processing), GIMP takes some getting used to. Some operations seem slower than Photoshop, like drawing a rectangular selection? Also, GIMP doesn't seem to like opening 16-bit/channel TIFF files -- I think it converts them to 8-bit. Somewhere, I heard that GIMP was soon going to have 16bit/channel support?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2015  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested in circular (not oval) cropping. I don't seem to be able to do it with Irfanview or Paint. Would GIMP be better? Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4206 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2015  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm interested in circular (not oval) cropping. I don't seem to be able to do it with Irfanview or Paint. Would GIMP be better?

That's the very reason I started with GIMP a few years ago. Now that I'm comfortable with it, I'll even use it for processing art prints.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2015  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I found the site and will be downloading it this evening.

Thanks again.

I imagine if I have any questions I can ask here right?!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2015  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have refrained from comments so far because this is a trigger issue with me. There are things that I would like to do in post processing but can't. I feel that the program instructions and help sections are so bad that I'm hoping the writers have their own special place in Hades.
I hear good things about GIMP and I don't doubt that the users are telling the truth. And I downloaded a copy for the specific purpose of making a circular crop. I would like to make composite photos that appear as overlapped coins like some of the auction advertising shows.
The first thing I did was go to the help section to find circular crop - and this should be one of the most basic and common of actions done in post processing. GIMP doesn't even have an alphabetized list of topics. How basic is that? Every modern technical manual written for the Western world has an alphabetized index. Not GIMP.
I know that if I set aside six weeks to discover all the features of their wonderful product, I would have only a 50/50 chance of cracking the code. So I quit. Just like with all the other programs. In fact, I've done this so often, that I created a folder for post processing programs that fall short of my needs. It's appropriately named "Crop Circles."
If someone wants to take on the Herculean task translation product instructions into user instructions they should be prepared to dedicate a great deal of time.
My frustration is compounded because I see it as one more supply side product that cares nothing for the consumer's wants or needs.
"Any computer glitch that is too troublesome to repair will be marketed as a feature."*
*The programmers mantra.
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2015  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using Picasa. I haven't tried GIMP yet, but its on my list to check because circle cropping sounds good
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2015  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Gimp (it's not an acronym, just a name) is not for the faint of heart. It's advanced graphics software for people who do graphics professionally, and requires a steep learning curve even for experienced Photoshop folks. It is not for beginners. I've been using it for ten years and barely know enough to do what I need it to do.

Circular crops in the Gimp are the last - and most difficult - thing necessary for coin photography which I learned. To this day, I do not like doing circle crops in the Gimp. That's why you don't see me post round images.
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2015  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can circle crops be done on JPG's or can this only be done on RAW files? I remember one program I tried to use said only rectangular crops could be done on JPG's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2015  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SD, I use Irfanview mostly. Cropping a circle should be no harder than clicking on a circular crop icon and then clicking on your photo. You could use a three point method, center and radius, chosen size or fixed size. Simple and popular but not available. And that is why I wish bad things on the program writers. It's not your fault and I appreciate your help.
Don't hate me, this stuff makes me irrational. I am not in my happy place. I need a cookie.

Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2015  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected on the acronym. I'm still using it as a word.

A circle crop creates the need for a transparency if you want a transparent background, which .jpg's aren't capable of. You'd probably have to export the result as a .png or create your own square background to your taste.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2015  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How to circle crop in GIMP:

http://goccf.com/t/74327&whichpage=2

This was most helpful to me when I started. I found GIMP to be very similar to older photoshops. I'm not even going to bother with Photoshop for creating coin images. I use Lightroom for all the other photography.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4206 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2015  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How to circle crop in GIMP:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/.&whichpage=2

This was most helpful to me when I started. I found GIMP to be very similar to older photoshops. I'm not even going to bother with Photoshop for creating coin images. I use Lightroom for all the other photography.

That's my favourite post here regarding GIMP and that's pretty much the process I use every time making coin photos now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2015  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guy's are THE BEST!

Thank you for all your help.

I will ask for more. I'm that way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2015  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all the help. When I can't do something, I get as cranky as a child. I may not get to this right away, but I'm going to bookmark the Gimp tutorials and hit it later. Thanks.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,115Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05