Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nickel Album Purchase

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 4,150Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pictures are too small to be able to grade, but the distance shots you posted these look to be fine coins! From these shots I'd say you got your investment back.

Now did you get a significantly bigger payback? Let's get better pictures. You will need pictures like your 1950D pictures. Crop the photos with your photo editor in Windows or what ever you choose to use. The background clutter detracts and distracts (i.e. busy countertop). Use a blank sheet of paper instead.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6296 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harco albums were noted to have PVC in them. This will damage the coins over time. I have had that problem in the past myself with their products (dating myself here). I really liked the look of them when a kid and got a bunch

I have to wonder how your coins escaped the green slime look. Although it did seem to be worse with silver coins.

I would certainly get a different album ASAP. You also should go to Walmart and for ~$2.00 get 100% acetone (can be fingernail polish remover - with NO added fragrance or color - it needs to say 100% acetone) and make sure to put each coin in it for a few seconds before transferring to another album.

The acetone cannot hurt the metal, will leave no residue, and will remove the problem from the coins. It might be there even if you don't see it.

Yup - it will take a little effort, but I lost a lot of nice coins back in the days I used Harco folders. They even had a lawsuit against them from what I see online.

or this one also:

You will see both have a very, very small amount of chemical added to them to make them taste bitter so people will not drink it. Search the forum for my name and acetone where this was discussed on the forum. The amount is so very miniscule it can be marketed as 100% pure.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice Earle; place into better protective storage after a bath.
Learn More...
United States
87578 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Harco album could be okay. It is dated to 1989 and it was in the mid to late 1980's when they changed their formula. These could go either way.

Are the pages soft or very rigid? Do they feel greasy at all? Do any of the coins have a green tinge to them, mostly on the contact points?

It may be best to just assume the album is the bad version and do as Earle42 has recommend, remove the coins, treat them with acetone, and put in a new album.
Valued Member
260 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeodatusAlp2002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very very brittle. Hard to take coins out cause the plastic breaks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6296 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then break away! The only place the album should go is the trash anyway
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13600 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Then break away! The only place the album should go is the trash anyway

You have some real nice Jefferson's there.
Invest a little money in a good album; Dansco or Whitman.
But don't forget the acetone.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4207 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have some nice coins there. Investing in some acetone and a nice album is great advise!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6296 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also remember there is a very inexpensive, but good album alternative at Wizard coin supply for 5.00.
http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/Coi...ctor-Albums/

But the flat rate shipping of 9.95 is a killer. So I normally wait until I want to order enough to make it worth my while. Look at some of the other albums - maybe you could use them. For 5.00 on a lot of them, they are hard to beat. I also got my coin tongs (help with acetone batch) and a few misc. things there.
Here is a link to a review of these on this forum:
http://goccf.com/t/108818
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
260 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeodatusAlp2002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is acetone safe to use on proofs? Also, is this pvc damage?

Uh-oh
Edited by DeodatusAlp2002
08/20/2015 11:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6296 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any way you can upload larger pics?

Acetone is safe to use on any metal coin. It does not interact with the metal. This is why it is not considered "cleaning" since you are not altering the coin itself. People tend to use the word "cleaning" when metal is removed (brushing and dipping in acid to remove a microscopic layer of the surface metal).

Google "pvc damage on coin" and go to images.
One of the images I saw is of a Harco album with green Mercury dimes in it.

Coins with PVC damage have a green film on them that can eventualy corrode.
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13600 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2015  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't think I would use acetone on a proof coin. your 1944-D War Nickel looks like verdigris set in . might want to use Verdi-Care.
ask BadThad about it.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
87578 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2015  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone will not hurt a proof coin. Keep in mind, acetone will only help remove organic material. As indicated previously, acetone will not help if this is verdigris. I cannot tell what it is from the photos though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4914 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2015  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen coins that have been in harco albums for over 25 years. The amount of PVC damage I've seen on morgan's that were in there was disgusting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6296 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2015  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Been there...

done that...

about it
- Prosp long and liver.
Page: of 4
Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 4,150Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05