Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have We Drained The Supply Of Collectable Coins?

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 3,941Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tip the teller: that was a nice haul!!
Pillar of the Community
967 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever I catch her out to lunch I buy it for her.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MichioKaku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, we haven't drained the system of collectible coins. As elderly coin collectors pass away, younger spenders will spend their grandparent's change.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MichioKaku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In fact, I would say that people that did coin roll hunting in the '80s and '90s are giving their change to their descendants, and they are giving their change to the bank. You could consider it an ecological balance, I guess!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4062 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In fact, I would say that people that did coin roll hunting in the '80s and '90s are giving their change to their descendants, and they are giving their change to the bank. You could consider it an ecological balance, I guess!
Ha ha yes, but only after we 'old timers' have searched it for silver, wheats, or errors today!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have the good juju all over you still lookin. That's the way to do it!
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teo2015 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the mid 60s nearly everyone was pulling and saving the silver coins, and as they pass, these coins will come back into the collector market. I think we will see a far larger number of coins from the 40s and 50s, than from any other decades in history.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4062 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the mid 60s nearly everyone was pulling and saving the silver coins
I've always wondered if this was just romantic myth. I grew up in the '60's, I don't recall my parents, grandparents or any other relatives hoarding silver coin. I'd have to say that a large percentage of the population probably weren't even aware, or cared, that their silver coinage had changed composition. In the mid 70's as a teen, I was roll hunting and going through change jars. As I recall, there was one friend who's mother had stashed away a jar full of Mercury dimes.

Of course, tons of silver coin were turned to melt around 1980, and major percentage of any hoarded silver disappeared.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Ha ha yes, but only after we 'old timers' have searched it for silver, wheats, or errors today!
Not necessarily the change jars, but the actual collections (or stacks or silver hoards). The heirs often only see them as money to deposited.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teo2015 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just look at the mintage numbers for dimes and quarter and you will see that, for the first time in history, mintage rose above a billion a year for the period 64 to 67, before dropping back in 68. This was due to hording of the previously issued silver coins. The mints were running at full steam to replace them, and dropped all none essential functions like making and selling proof sets or even using mint marks during this time.
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, and they also stopped using mint marks to discourage the collectors.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4062 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The US Mint had a percentage of circulated coin melt to produce new.

Cannibalism!
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2015  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After having many bad boxes of nickels and dimes, I finally had a great box of nickels tonight:

1955p
undated buffalo
1944D
1943P
1950d(only our second one ever)

Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2015  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coin roll hunting............what an incredible waste of time.

Well its a good thing you are in the coin roll hunting forum then huh?

Some areas have been depleted of some things, while others have been depleted of other things. Halves seem to all be good in one area, and bad in evry other area. If the type of coin you are checking seems dry, just try a different coin? I haven't found anything decent in dimes except a 1970S. Wheats are all through boxes of pennies. Nickels always turn up something: buff, war, foreign.
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2015  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well its a good thing you are in the coin roll hunting forum then huh?
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 3,941Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05