Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

January1may's First CCF Anniversary "Guess The Dates" Contest

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 4,481Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would guess 1793 for the coin at the bottom right.

Anything for the other coins?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
972 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The others as per Joseph!
(although the 10 Lepta is more likely 1894 or 95)
Though I can't work out what the top left coin is.
Edited by andyg
04/23/2016 5:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2016  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is tricky lol. Good contest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2016  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here it goes FTW!

Top left: 1792
Top right: 1938
Middle: 1900
Bottom left: 1797
Bottom middle: 2005
Bottom right: 1793

Pillar of the Community
Norway
1358 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me give this an uneducated guess.

bottom row, middle coin: 2005.
middle middle coin: 1882
top right coin: 1938
bottom left: 1797

The other two are too vague for me to identify.
Pillar of the Community
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mayflower2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't tell if you're way off, because I can't figure out which of your dates corresponds to which coin.

It said in the rules to guess the dates of the three big copper coins. So the one I listed as top was the one on the top (top left if you count the other coin that wasn't a big copper). And the ones listed as left and right were the big coppers on the bottom, on the left and the right. Most everyone else was following the rules and only guessing the three copper coins.

top(top left) 1775
left(bottom left) 1792
right(bottom right) 1938
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It said in the rules to guess the dates of the three big copper coins. So the one I listed as top was the one on the top (top left if you count the other coin that wasn't a big copper). And the ones listed as left and right were the big coppers on the bottom, on the left and the right. Most everyone else was following the rules and only guessing the three copper coins.

top(top left) 1775
left(bottom left) 1792
right(bottom right) 1938
That's what I thought you meant, but the 1938 date surprised me (like, it's not even in the correct century for the bottom right coin).
Pillar of the Community
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mayflower2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's what I thought you meant, but the 1938 date surprised me (like, it's not even in the correct century for the bottom right coin).

It was obviously a complete stab in the dark at a coin that looks like a blank planchet. No need to be condescending to someone else who's here to learn.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2016  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was obviously a complete stab in the dark at a coin that looks like a blank planchet. No need to be condescending to someone else who's here to learn.
Sorry. I agree, "looks like a blank planchet" is a good description for that particular coin (though the other side is a little better, and even this one in better lighting would probably have been enough for identification).

It's just that the specific date 1938 was what everyone else suggested for the upper right coin (which is not included in the three big coppers).
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2016  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So is there a winner? Or can we guess more than once? Just curious about the end result lol.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2016  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So is there a winner? Or can we guess more than once? Just curious about the end result lol.

Best I can figure out, you're the preliminary winner (having got most of the dates right).

Joseph7420 had persuaded me not to end this contest until all the coins' dates had been guessed correctly (which is still not the case). He does not have the best guess anymore (though it's close), so if you're tired of the contest I suppose we might end it early (at least, if there's no other guesses until the 2nd of June).

You can probably try to guess again if you want - it's been over a month - but you're so close that, unless you happen to guess just right, it will probably only be worse, and might be problematic for your status as the preliminary winner.
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2016  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it's your contest, you can do what you want. The 2nd of June sounds good to me. I don't care to guess again now lol. A few were stabs in the dark, lol. I'm mostly just curious about what the dates actually are lol.
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2016  03:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2016  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is my second CCF anniversary today. That was the latest date I seriously considered as the deadline for this contest.

I have still not done the significant thing I mentioned in the opening post (and in fact I'm not even sure which one it was, because there are two significant things I have yet to do, and I could easily have meant either), and ultimately no one had guessed all the dates correctly.
(And the member with the best guess had not been seen since 2017.)

In addition, I later found that the clues might not have been correct anyway: on one of the coins, the date might actually have been on the side shown in the photo (the coin was too worn to tell).

I'm considering restarting this as a second-anniversary contest, though I'd probably use other (more recently bought) coins, and have different clues.

Looking forward to any thoughts of how to deal with this!

(...Though it's still neat that I even made it to my second CCF anniversary.)
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 4,481Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05