Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Otacilia Severa - Wife Of Philippus I

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 3,035Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinokay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins, nice write up
Learn More...
United States
23589 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  01:24 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coins. Excellent information.
Learn More...
United States
20086 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post--this is great info!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2319 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post lrb
As I said before really like the way you
can summarise theses ladies.
Thanks for sharing,great info.

Love that hippo !

Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks gents, I worry about the photos and the depth of coverage. Don't want to bore, but do want to enlighten. Thanks for the affirmation.

I hope you enjoyed seeing the officina marks, particularly the ones in Greek numerals. Robert Carson, in a separate work, made the observation that with these issues we have the first clear indication that a particular officina could be assigned to a dignitary, and that such assignment would dominate the output of that officina for the duration of a reign. Of course, that becomes standard operating procedure by the time of the first Tetrarcy.

I'm also hoping someone will pick up on the Antioch mint debate. Did they or didn't they? - or maybe the same type from Rome AND Antioch?

Here's one more for the pot - a non-silver addition:
I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of sesterci in my collection. Since, for no particular reason, I happen to have one for Otacilia Severa, I will show it here.

RIC 203a MARCIA OTACIL. SEVERA AVG.
bust not on crescent

CONCORDIA AVGG // S C
Concordia seated l holding patera and double cornucopia

The reverse shows clear marks of double striking, which has also had an effect on the lettering of the obverse legend in places. Note the doubling of the patera, and the COR syllable in the legend; also the doubling of the forepart of the legs from the knee, and of the "C" of "S C" in the exergue.

Edited by lrbguy
06/20/2017 4:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, fantastic Sestertius Irbguy! That's the kind of bronze I like to see!

Here is my example of RIC129. Slightly different facial features compared to Irbguy's specimen.

Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautiful improvement, EFLC!! No cracks, complete lettering, clear images, and well centered within the flan on BOTH SIDES. Good show!
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2017  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just picked up these today from Beast coins. One is an upgrade, one is a missing key.

The upgrade is for the 6th issue with Greek delta and the altar with fire:

The other is another reverse type for the 2nd issue (245 A.D.) with the long obverse legend. In RIC this is listed as 120b and dated to 244-246 without specifying an issue. This type is rare for all the issues where it occurs.

MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG

Reverse: PIETAS AVG
Pietas stg left raising r. hand, holding box of perfume in left.

These pics are of both coins as they appear in the pages of writeup Zach maintains apart from his Vcoins store. An excellent resource if you have not explored them. Here is the page for Otacilia Severa:
https://www.beastcoins.com/RomanImp...iaSevera.htm br /

Pillar of the Community
Australia
652 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2017  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recently I have started dabbling in Ancient Coins, which makes a change from noodling Australian Coins. I still do the latter though .
In selecting Ancient Coins for my collection I visit the local coin dealers and just examine what is on offer. I purchase a coin if it "speaks to me" i.e. if it has a special appeal, a special charm that I can feel.

Just the other day I bought the following Roman Silver Antoniniano with the Empress Otacilia Severa on the Obverse. I liked the portrait because the Empress has an almost reflective expression on her face.

Squire

Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2017  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a perfect addition to the group we have in this thread, and one that is less commonly seen than others. Let me explain. If you go to the top of the thread and start working down you will come to the characteristic of issue 2:
"issue 2 - 245 A.D. (Long obverse legend: MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG)"

For the CONCORDIA AVGG reverse you will find this entry:

........CONCORDIA AVGG (double cornucopia - two horns as one) RIC 119b
.........(no photo, but see next)
..................This type is common for the full run of issues, but is rarely encountered with the first obverse legend.

You have now provided the missing image. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
We trusted that it was out there, but for some things seeing is believing.

New to ancients and hits it out of the park. What can you say?
Edited by lrbguy
09/12/2017 11:59 am
Valued Member
New Zealand
278 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2017  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coins Irbguy and very awesome write up about her too. I've got the same Sesterius of hers
Pillar of the Community
Australia
652 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2017  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, first time lucky

Thank you for the insightful feedback Irbguy. I am glad that I could contribute constructively to your useful "Women of Rome Coinage" documentation.

It's what I like about coin collecting. You never know what you might find when you go "browsing".

Communication with Coin Community Family Experts who are willing to share their great knowledge is an added bonus

Squire
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2018  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a link to another nice writeup for MOS on the list from Doctorwho2485:
http://goccf.com/t/317226

Nice sculptured bust images as well as a coin.
Edited by lrbguy
04/24/2018 2:41 pm
Valued Member
Hong Kong
54 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coffeyce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Philip I and Otacilia Severa 29 of Mesembria, Thrace. AD 244-249. AYT M IOVΛ ΦIΛIΠΠOC AVΓ M #1120;TAKIΛ C#1028;BHPA, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Philip right, facing diademed and draped bust of Otacilia left / MECAMBPIANΩN, Dionysus standing left, holding cantharus and thyrsos. Varbanov 4237. 12.30g, 29mm, 7h.
Near Extremely Fine. Minor flan crack at 5h

Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ruger9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Otacilla Severa Sestertius
Obv: MOTAESEVERA, draped bust right.
Rev: COLDMASMETRO, wreath surrounding "CCBA over MTA"
EX: Lazy 6
Diameter: 29mm
Weight: 16.0 grams
Provincial: Damascus, Syria (Cecle)

Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 3,035Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05