Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yet Another Forum Game - Numismatic Go Fish!

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7,250 / Views: 333,121Next Topic
Page: of 484
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1886 5 bolivares from venezuela.

If this coin was minted inside Venezuela, it was minted North of the equator. In that case, it gets 2022 points.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Current leaderboard:

Points ID
------ -----------
1894 Princetane
1896 bd251
1970 jbuck
2022 That coin dude
Pillar of the Community
United States
2324 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bolivia 2 reales

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2001 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  02:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems pointless now, but here goes

1869 Peru silver sol

And for some extra spice

Chile, 50 Centavos 1870.

I know its later, but its a beautiful piece won't you all agree. Chilean and Peruvian silver coins were traded through out the Pacific and known for their quality.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know its later, but its a beautiful piece won't you all agree.
Agreed!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Updated leaderboard:

Points   ID
------   ---------
1774     Arkie
1869     Princetane
1896     bd251
1970     jbuck
2022     That coin dude 

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And for some extra spice

Definitely worth posting. Here's one of my favorites from the southern hemisphere:

Sydney mint sovereign:

(my only shield-back sovereign)

Edited by pepactonius
01/21/2021 12:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This round has ended -- Congratulations to Arkie, the winner of this round. Thanks to everyone submitted entries.

I now pass the baton to Arkie.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2324 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1689 gunmoney half crown

Post your oldest coin from a participant in a civil war. For Princetane, I consider the entire British Commonwealth period to be a civil war.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted Today  16H 3M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the list we will be going by?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civil_wars
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
781 Posts
 Posted Today  14H 8M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this would qualify for the Russian Civil War. Finland was still under Russia at the time.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3326 Posts
 Posted Today  11H 52M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not entirely confident (the dates involved confuse me), but I think this should qualify...

Seleucid Empire, AE unit (AE18)
Antiochos VII Euergetes (Sidetes), probably in opposition to Diodotus Tryphon
Dated 174 SE (ΔΟΡ) = 139/8 BC
Numista 140412, other references at link

Here's the chronology as I understand it from the Wikipedia description:
- July 138 BC: Demetrios II exiled by Tryphon, who enjoys sole rule for a few weeks
- early August 138 BC: Antiochus VII declares himself the legitimate heir of Demetrios II, gets immediate support from many parts of the empire
- late August (or early September?) 138 BC: Antiochus VII conquers the capital (Antioch), Tryphon retreats to Dor
- late 138 BC, date unclear: Tryphon dies in Apamea?

The year 174 SE ended on October 5, 138 BC, so this coin was issued at least that early, and it seems likely that Tryphon was, at least, still alive.
However, the rest of the chronology seems to have been heavily compressed (possibly by confusion between different varieties of the Seleucid era), so I'm not actually sure what happened when. There's way too much reported to have happened in that one August; could they even communicate that fast at the time?
Quote:
In the one hundred and seventy-fourth year Antiochus set out and invaded the land of his ancestors. All the troops rallied to him, so that there were only a few with Trypho. Antiochus pursued him, and Trypho came in his flight to Dor, which is by the sea; for he knew that troubles had converged on him, and his troops had deserted him.

- 1 Maccabees 15:10-12 (New Revised Standard Version)
Note that the Jews' "one hundred and seventy-fourth year" is 138/7 BC, not 139/8 BC. They're not saying it happened before October: they're saying it happened after April.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted Today  11H 18M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will just go for the easy one for now
American Civil War

Lots of civil wars on that list
Pillar of the Community
United States
2324 Posts
 Posted Today  6H 15M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All look good so far. bd251, IIRC the bolsheviks imposed a communist legislature in Finland in 1917, so that would certainly apply, as well as being a part of Russia.
Page: of 484
Previous TopicReplies: 7,250 / Views: 333,121Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05