Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,263 / Views: 183,743Next Topic
Page: of 218
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9292 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2020 Canadian Volunteer Service Medal
(A medal that is included in my new 2020 Canada colorized coin set)

This medallion was only available as part of the
2020 Pure Silver Coloured 6-Coin Set with Medallion - Canadian Circulation Collection.
It is a faithful reproduction of the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal (CVSM), which honoured volunteer service (1939-1947) in the Second World War.
Mintage 7000

From the pages of Royal Canadian Mint

About the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal
The seven marching figures represent the Royal Canadian Navy, Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service, 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion, Canadian Women's Army Corps, Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), RCAF Women's Division, and Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps.

With the creation of the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal (CVSM) in 1943, Canada became the first country in the Commonwealth to recognize voluntary service in the Second World War. The medal was crafted in .925 silver and engraved by Master Engraver Thomas Shingles. The obverse by war artist Charles Fraser Comfort was based on photographs of seven marching members of Canada's army, air force, navy and nursing service. At first, the medal was only awarded to members of Canada's military forces and merchant navy who "honourably completed 18 months total voluntary service from 3 September 1939 to 1 March 1947." Eligibility was later expanded to include members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, as well as various civilian and military support organizations. A total of 650,000 medals were awarded.

I DO NOT HAVE THIS YET
Actual 1943 Canadian Volunteer Service Medal
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5055 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG: Great set! I am also planning to add one of the original WWII medals to my collection to compare/contrast with the 2020 version.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9292 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 999 and thanks commems.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5055 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy collecting the official 1992 medals authorized/licensed by the Congressionally-created Christopher Columbus Quincentenary Jubilee Commission. Gold, silver and base metal medals have all been issued in various sizes.

I came across this one recently. It's a gold-anodized aluminum medal (in the Mardi Gras doubloon style) that promotes/advertises AT&T on its reverse; the Commission's official "500" logo is seen at the 12 o'clock position above the AT&T globe logo.

The obverse features a rendition of the Christopher Columbus statue created by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi; it was originally cast in silver by the Gorham Manufacturing Company and was displayed at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, IL. It was later cast in bronze for permanent display in Providence, RI; the silver version was meant to be a temporary promotional piece for Gorham and was melted down after the Exposition. Also seen on the obverse is Columbus' flagship, the Santa Maria.

Note: The statue was removed in June 2020 from its base in Columbus Square in Providence.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9292 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a chance to get 4 new hard to find Heraldic Art Medals last night but behaved myself and settled on the one I have wanted for quite some time. It is my 41st different Heraldic Art Medal

1972 League Of Six Nations - Heraldic Art Medal

The Iroquois Confederacy
"People of the Longhouse"
Is made up of six nations. The Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, Seneca, and Tuscarora. The first 5 came together between 1570 and 1600 to live in peace across upper New York. This league is one of the world's oldest participatory democracies. The confederacy's constitution, The Great Law of Peace is believed to have been a model for the U.S. Constitution.

This is a 16 minute yooooo toobe that I watched and if you have any interest in the structure and works of this democracy, you may find this very interesting.
S4gU2Tsv6hY

Here is a page I found with some very amazing informational links about each tribe.
http://vangilst.pbworks.com/w/page/...f%20Iroquois

From East to West

Mohawk
"People of the Flint" and "Keepers of the Eastern Door"
We identify them by the strip of hair in the middle of an otherwise shorn head. Fought for the British in the French and Indian War and then in the American Revolution.
Famous as iron and steel construction workers on skyscrapers in modern times.

Oneida
"People of the Standing Stone" They were America's first allies during the American Revolution. They traveled hundreds of miles to bring corn to the starving Continental Army at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

Onondaga
"People of the Hills" and "Keepers of the Central Fire"
In 1779 Onondaga attacks against the Iroquois were led by General John Sullivan.

Cayuga
"People of the Great Swamp" allies of the British in the French and Indian war.

Seneca
"People of the Great Hill" and "Keepers of the Western Door." The Seneca were able to assemble as many as 1,000 warriors, roughly the equivalent of the forces of the other Iroquois nations combined. Also allies of the British.

Then to the South
Tuscarora
"People of the Shirt" join in 1722, migrated from North Carolina to southern central New York because they were kidnapped and sold into slavery by the British in the South. Most Tuscarora were allies to the colonists in the American Revolution.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1883 East River Bridge Medal. Now known as the Brooklyn bridge. From looking online it seems they are scarce unholed.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9292 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been to NYC many times and saw the Brooklyn Bridge from every angle but could never go across it because I was almost always in an 18 wheeler. Neat medal! Thanks for posting it.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1883 East River Bridge Medal. Now known as the Brooklyn bridge.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dar76124 - that is indeed a lovely medal!
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice unholed example.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a citrus-related collection outside of coins and medals and thought this a worthwhile addition. I believe this is an exhibitor's medal for the 29TH NATIONAL ORANGE SHOW, 1935. The show was held annually in San Bernardino CA beginning in 1911. The show was a great attraction at one time claiming 500,000 visitors. More well-known are colorful postcards of the various exhibits. This is the first medal I've come across for the show.

Meant to be worn, the red ribbon has a pinback. The medal itself is uniface.

Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5055 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@999fine: Neat piece! Congrats on adding it to your collection. Finding them nice and intact is often difficult. It looks like you did well with yours!

I have a few hanging medals/badges in my collection, primarily those with a connection to the commemorative coins that I enjoy collecting.

Page: of 218
Previous TopicReplies: 3,263 / Views: 183,743Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05