Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,126 / Views: 168,692Next Topic
Page: of 209
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DrDarryl!

I have been behaving but can add two seldom seen pendants or fobs here from the Louisiana Purchase Exposition or 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.
1904 St. Louis World's Fair - Walter A. Wood Souvenir
Looped Fob Medal

This seems to be a rather scarce item.

Walter A. Wood was a farm machine manufacturing company established in 1852 and promoted products as an exhibitor at many World's Fairs and Expositions in the United States and abroad as early as 1876 and won many gold medals from what information I have found.
American Branches were in New York, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Louisville, San Francisco, Portland Oregon and Maine, Rochester, Richmond, Pittsburg, Fargo and Baltimore.
Looks like the same farmer and machine on this Victorian trade card as that on the medal.
Gotta wonder, where is mom?

I like this fancy decorated reverse with two mounted red beads, two white beads and blue enamel highlights.

1904 St Louis World's Fair
Jefferson-Napoleon Louisiana Purchase Pendant
Krueger #230

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4419 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dr Darryl and TNG

Both fascinating items.
Member: ANA and NTCA
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
90955 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for you jbuckster!

1971 Knute Rockne Notre Dame
National Commemorative Society
Sterling Silver Medal

Edge No. 4834
Metal Sterling Silver
Total Mintage 5292
Size 39mm
Weight 0.83oz

Head Coach Notre Dame Record
Won 105
Lost 12
Tied 5
Won 3 national championships

p9oGBL_QfDM
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4419 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another nice addition TNG
Learn More...
United States
90955 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just for you jbuckster!
Very nice!

While I cannot deny Rockne's greatness, well, I am from NWIN and there you either love The Irish or you despise them. Guess where I landed...

Yes, there is a Reagan (movie) connection with Notre Dame and Knute Rockne...

However, there is this bit of trivia...

Looking forward to the 7th of November.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was waiting almost a month now for one of these to arrive so I could post but it is most likely lost in the mail.
So I bought this. I guess now the other will show up?
You see a lot more 1926 Liberty Bell - Independence Hall versions than this Betsy Ross House 1926 World's Fair souvenir.

1926 Philadelphia Sesquicentennial
International Exposition
Liberty Bell - Betsy Ross House
Souvenir Medal or fob

The Betsy Ross House is a landmark in Philadelphia where the seamstress and flag-maker Betsy Ross (1752-1836) lived when she is said to have sewn the first American Flag.
The house sits on Arch Street, several blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The front part of the building was built around 1740.
At some time in the more recent 1900's the door and windows were reversed on the original building during renovation, thus a different image appears on this medal than how the Betsy Ross House appears today.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
90955 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was waiting almost a month now for one of these to arrive so I could post but it is most likely lost in the mail.

Quote:
So I bought this. I guess now the other will show up?
The upshot: two is better than one?

Lovely example!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A condensed history ~ Snippets rearranged by me from Wikipedia pages info.

1963 Battle of Gettysburg
The High Water Mark
Large Bronze Medal
Medallic Art Co.

Pickett's Charge was an infantry assault ordered by Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee against Maj. Gen. George G. Meade's Union positions on July 3, 1863, the last day of the Battle of Gettysburg in the state of Pennsylvania during the American Civil War. The charge is named after Maj. Gen. George Pickett, one of three Confederate generals who led the assault that involved about 12,500 CSA soldiers in nine infantry brigades as they advanced over open fields for three-quarters of a mile under heavy Union artillery and rifle fire.
Although some Confederates were able to breach the low stone wall that shielded many of the Union defenders, they could not maintain their hold and were repelled with over 50% casualties, a decisive defeat that ended the three-day battle and Lee's campaign into Pennsylvania.

The Battle of Gettysburg was fought in 1863 from July 1 and ceased on July 3rd with General Lee's retreat on July 4th.
The farthest advance of Brig. Gen. Lewis A. Armistead's brigade of Maj. Gen. George Pickett's division is referred to as the "High-water mark of the Confederacy" being the furthest point North that the South would advance during the Civil War. After Gettysburg, Lee's army conducted no more strategic offensives.

Union casualties were 23,055
(3,155 killed, 14,531 wounded, 5,369 captured or missing)
Maj. Gen. George Meade
(Commanding) USA

Confederate casualties were 23,231
(4,708 killed, 12,693 wounded, 5,830 captured or missing)
Gen. Robert E. Lee
(Commanding) CSA

I bought this 1963 Battle of Gettysburg as a companion medal to go along with another similar medal I purchase quite some time ago. The one below is seen much more often also from Medallic Art Co and 2 and 1/2 inches in diameter. It was minted in 1962. I know it is also found in silver.

1962 Civil War Centennial Commission
Lee and Grant Large Bronze Medal

Joseph Renier's medal, commissioned by the Civil War Centennial Commission, memorializes the four years of hostilities between North and South one hundred years before. It depicts Confederate general Robert E. Lee, who surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant, also shown here, at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, in 1865. "Let Us Have Peace" became Grant's presidential campaign slogan in 1868. At Appomattox, Lee released his officers and soldiers, bidding them return home with "a consciousness of duty faithfully performed."
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
10/17/2020 7:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7615 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got this today from the junk bin at my LCS - a 1792 Norwich halfpenny:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4419 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice adds folks
Learn More...
United States
90955 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1895 Wannamaker
Ohi-Yesa
Lucky Charm Token No 2

A duplicate of this Ohi-Yesa Wannamaker Token.
This is in lesser condition. See text on the better one I have in this post.
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=171#3132091

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought this one deserved it's own thread but I'll show it here for our frequent readers.
So for more go to
http://goccf.com/t/384735

1963 Theodore Roosevelt
Medallic Art Co
999 silver
From an 8 pc "Process Set"

Process Sets illustrate the steps in the production of a medal.

My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
10/20/2020 11:54 am
Learn More...
United States
90955 Posts
Page: of 209
Previous TopicReplies: 3,126 / Views: 168,692Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05