Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Just Bought A Lot On Ebay

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,626Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
Lithuania
365 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first one - Lithuanian half-groat of Sigismund the Old, can't recognize the date unfortunately. The date is on obverse at 11-11.30. This is the type of 1509-1516. Book about these coins, we wrote, http://goccf.com/t/282866#2593952

Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Valued Member
Lithuania
365 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another coin - Swedish dreipoelker, minted in occupied Polish Elbing, dated 163? More about in http://www.home.neab.net/gandalf/co...s/elbing.htm

Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3390 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the last coin in row 2 might be another Cilician Armenian?

Also, pretty sure the last in row 1 is Islamic, so it would be medieval as well. Can't figure out what it is, however.
(EDIT: same for the bottom right.)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4389 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2018  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lithuanian half-groat of Sigismund the Old

Well done @giedrius.

I saw that familiar eagle, but could not see the rider.
Edited by tdziemia
05/05/2018 11:02 am
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2018  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guys-
The coins should arrive today. I will go ahead and post nice pics of the ones of interest that have been commented on here rather than separately later posts. Later-

Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HoboNickelCarver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Lot! Looking forward to the photos.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two of the Byzantine coins. The first one is Anastasius 35mm and 18.1 grams and the other is from the time of Basil II and is 28mm and 11.3 grams. Sorry Finn235. Will post more later-

Learn More...
United States
18653 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Basil II is in amazing shape--great remaining detail.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
6366 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2018  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto!
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Basil II is in amazing shape--great remaining detail.

Thanks. I am not a Byzantine collector but I have been told that it is a common coin and rather rare in this condition. The Anastasius is larger and heavier than the one in my collection but a slightly lessor grade. It is my understanding that the larger ones were minted earlier. Is there a way to date them by size and weight? I bid on the lot because of the Florian and the Hannabalianus which are still soaking. Later-
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK Guys-

Here are the two coins that were the reason I bid on this lot- #1 the Hannaballianus and #2 the Florian. Everything else was extra. Looks like the extra is a lot better than I expected. The other Romans are cleaning up real nice and you have seen a couple of the Byzantines from the lot.

First I cleaned them with soap and brushed them with a tooth brush. I soaked them until now and brushed them again. I applied Dellers for preservation. The Florian has a nice obverse but the reverse could use some attention. The Hannaballianus has a nice obverse but the reverse (and obverse) looks like it was possibly scraped by whoever found it. Later-

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6039 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't go wrong for $3 per coin! Are you planning to keep all?
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Guys-

Here are some of the Romans from this lot. I have already looked them all up but you can if you want to. I will be sending one of them to Dane at Wildwinds because it is not yet listed there. Some of my coins are on Wildwinds. Can you find the one I am sending? Later-

Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey an update Guys-

Dane at Wildwinds has now posted one of the coins from this lot. I think this is about number 7 for me now for coins on Wildwinds. Woot! RIC says it is a R4. Whatever- LOL.

Here is the pic that was posted on Wildwinds. It is hard to scan coins for Dane in a white background. The coin in hand is an uncleaned gray green.
Later-

Pillar of the Community
United States
5598 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Congrats on the additional listing at Wildwinds. Always nice when a coin from your collection is used as a reference at a study site or in a book.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,626Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05