Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toning Like A Ticking Clock...

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,680Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
332 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine, too. We're the most images inadvertently reversed?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lighting and processing are different between the two. The main difference in toning is that the metallic blue color is creeping in from the edges, and it's also developed some dark spots.
Valued Member
240 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wondered if this was a "Photoshop" job (processing) or light color, but your comments about 3.5 years later and toning like a ticking clock prompted me to ask questions.
Edited by jmwilson
10/24/2018 08:23 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3512 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had silver coins tone in holders, and some even develop ugly dark spotting. One of them PCGS did their magic and removed the spots and re-holdered.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1236 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. My first thought is that there must be some form of contamination left on the coins surface.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's undeniable that coin has toned further in the slab. But it's also a major concern.

I've heard of Indian cents changing from red to brown which severely impacts the value of the coin. But this is the first silver example I've seen that has changed in the holder.

One of the benefits of storing coins in a TPG holder is the assumption that the coin will be preserved in its present form and will be protected from the elements. So when you see toning changes like this happen inside of a TPG holder it's a bit unnerving.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1236 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of the benefits of storing coins in a TPG holder is the assumption that the coin will be preserved in its present form and will be protected from the elements. So when you see toning changes like this happen inside of a TPG holder it's a bit unnerving.

Mike, unless placed in a vacuum, all silver coins will continue to oxidize.....just no where close to the timeframe this particular piece has. That is why my first thought was that there must be some form of contamination still present on the coins surface. Of course if the original toning was artificially accelerated, we could also expect to see continued degradation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you guys think an acetone bath before the submission would have stopped the toning progression?
Pillar of the Community
United States
772 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you guys think an acetone bath before the submission would have stopped the toning progression?

Possibly, depending on what exactly is on the coin of course.
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Complete / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Complete / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 4 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 6 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fortunately, this isn't a particularly pricey coin, so I'm not too bothered. So far it's gotten better. But I expect in 15 years or less, it'll be turning black.

TPG holders are not air-tight, nor are air-tites. Plastic simply isn't a barrier to gasses. Some is better than others (mylar would have better archival properties, and metalized mylar better still).

You could store coins in a vault under a vacuum in extreme cold to slow chemical reactions as much as possible, or you have them on your shelf and enjoy them.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The lighting and processing are different between the two.

I'm not trying to be insulting but I do suspect this is playing a significant role here.

3 plus years ago I would go off a picture of my favorite coin as too much happens to remember it perfectly.

Could it have changed sure it could, but some or a large part could also be the picture process differences
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lighting really isn't all that different. Same camera, same lighting diffusers, same lights (jansjos), just a bit more light from the bottom and somewhat different exposure settings. You can also look at the photos from the original HA sale. There was only blue on the rim and, not all over the cap and the field.
Valued Member
240 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, regardless ... that's a nice looking coin you have there. Why don't you put it in your freezer? That should slow the process.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1480 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2018  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd crack it out and rinse it in acetone. That should stop the oxidation. Then put it in a Mylar flip and it should not change for many years.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2018  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had something similar happen to my Mercury dime, where the color completely disappeared. I sent it back to NGC for an appearance review

I believe that the toning in both of our coins is the cause of some organic material that is causing the rapid progression...but not 100% certain

Edited by Steelers72
10/27/2018 10:34 pm
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,680Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05