Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crumbling Silvers Prices .

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 5,275Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The latest silver institute report is not bringing good news for silver either. I thought I heard that numismatic prices have softened up some. GSR dropped below 90 last week. I heard silver premiums were soft, I wonder if that changed when we went from about 15 to about 16 in a matter of three days. Maybe we hit 17 or who knows this year. Another interesting silver tidbit, India outpaced the U.S. in coin/bar demand last year, first time ever?, if they bought most of it latter part of the year they totally bought the dip.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver has gotten high enough for me to think about selling a portion of what I have.

I looked at the buy-back prices for APMEX, Provident, and JM Bullion, and found that their buy prices (low to high) are generally in the same order I just listed them.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dealer that might pay better? Do local dealers generally pay better? It's been quite a while since I've bought from a coin dealer in person, so I don't know the current conditions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4059 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Pauldog - it might vary, but there is no way they can beat the online vendors here locally, at about 60 cents on the dollar. Same with buy prices, I haven't found any local shows or dealers that can match online vendors in buy/sell.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far, my best bet is to ship generic silver and 90% silver coins to JM Bullion, even over Provident, unless someone has a better suggestion.

However, I think I'll get noticeably more for my few ounces of Mexican Libertads on eBay, even after fees. I haven't checked eBay prices on ASE and maple leaf.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of people selling between $15-$17 to take profits on the run-up in price. No one ever went broke taking profits ... nice trade.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the start of this thread was a call of the bottom of precious metals prices. Now it's several months later, and silver is at a 2-year high.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14193 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm liking what I see . Aug.27,2019 4:28PM $18.15 an once .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21538 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it's headed in the right direction now.
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all - interesting thread and it got me thinking:

I have a box of circulated world silver that I might sell. But I don't know the best way. The silver content is all over the place so I can't bring it to the LCS like I would with US 90% coins. These coins aren't worth listing individually - most are only worth a couple bucks each (circulated, world silver). I have a spreadsheet that I made for my amusement so I know what I have, but again, there's no million-dollar coins in this box. Any advice?
Edited by jeffbuckes
08/27/2019 6:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
932 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sell them here or ebay
Edited by machine20
08/27/2019 10:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14193 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2019  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent idea . Self the whole thing as a job lot for one price or offer bidding . List brief description on the coins with Aerage silver content , dates and grades .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21538 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spend a little time looking up the ASW (Actual Silver Weight) for each coin, multiply times the spot price for silver, and that will give you the total value for the lot in silver value. Usually foreign junk silver sells below spot, maybe 5-10%. Then list them for sale as a lot here or eBay as suggested.
To find the ASW for each coin you'd need a Krause catalog to make it easy. Other wise you'll have to search the net.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would expect it to sell more quickly if you include the total silver content of the lot. It's something I almost always want to know before buying.

I didn't get around to selling any silver yet, and it's just as well - the price is now past $19 an ounce. I am trying to sell a few coins on eBay - some 1982 Washington commemorative halves and Mexican Libertads, totaling a little over $100, but no bites yet. I'm reluctant to cut the asking price when the price of silver is still creeping up.
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the advice. I don't use ebay so that's out (they were great 20 years ago, but I can't stand them anymore). I've sold a couple pieces here on CCF, but I didn't get any traction on other pieces so I withdrew the sales.

I track all my coins on a spreadsheet and I have a tab just for these world coins that I mentioned. The tab includes a column for ASW and I get all my info from NGCcoin.com (they're very reliable I think). Right now, this box of mixed world silver has about 200 coins with 30 troy oz of ASW. It's not a huge lot, but what a great mix! There's stuff in here from more than two dozen countries, in lots of different denominations and years and conditions. Some are more common (Canada, Mexico, etc.) but some are more fun (Saudi Arabia, East Africa, etc.). I know I'd make more money piecing them out but it would be a huge job, and on some coins the postage would be more than the coin is worth.

PS: I just realized I'm getting off topic and maybe need my own thread for this discussion.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4059 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow silver is really shining!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Page: of 4
Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 5,275Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05