Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 October RCM Releases - Includes 2nd Ufo Coin

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 7,074Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is available for issue price at CA:

1 oz. Pure Silver Glow-in-the-Dark Coin - Canada's Unexplained Phenomena - Shag Harbour

CAD 129.95 no Tax.

Shown as '9' in Stock, but the system might be not updated.
Seems, that whoever knew about the coin, already bought.

Now the question: "To whom we will sell our spares for increased price?"
Valued Member
Canada
376 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The feather "coin" presented a philosophical challenge for me and ultimately, I passed. I really like the art style and am a big fan of Andy Everson's work but the shape was a blocker for me. I think I may have bought in were it not legal tender and just a silver object. As a coin, my own personal protest is to skip over items that would not under any circumstance be used to buy milk at a grocery store. I understand that nobody will use a $140 coin for $20 in face value but the definition of NCLT implies that this is possible. Not so for the feather.

However for those that missed out, it is still available at Gatewest though Colonial Acres shows sold out. The UFO is available at both.

Quote:
For relatively a long time we haven't had a 'West Coast art style' designs.

Not sure I agree with this statement... As I said, I love Andy Everson's work and the Ancestor Mask in Gold & Silver were released in 2018. I bought in to those.

I have a collection category of First Nations mask coins and these are two of the most stunning.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really like the art style and am a big fan of Andy Everson's work but the shape was a blocker for me.

I agree, this is not the coin, IMO.

Whatever hype will be, it just a silver bar, shaped like a feather, with nice carving on it. There are many variations of the same pattern ("round here curve there"). Nice, but not unusual.
Would prefer 3-coin masks set over "3-feather set"....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4466 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The feather "coin" presented a philosophical challenge for me...As a coin, my own personal protest is to skip over items that would not under any circumstance be used to buy milk at a grocery store.

I'm of the same mindset. Many modern NCLT pieces stretch the traditional definition of "coin" to the point of breaking. I think this feather piece is one example.

If you like it - Great! We each have to collect what makes us happy. For me, however, it was an easy pass.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
592 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% agree. It is not a coin and IMHO the lettering & effigy take away from this piece.

The RCM needs to create other categories on their website for these other items (see Canada Post or Amazon), but PLEASE do not call these coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
852 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These are not proper COINS
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2019  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the UFO coins (the second one) with the low COA ("One of the first minted" as per description) has been sold for CAD 326!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
631 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of the UFO coins (the second one) with the low COA ("One of the first minted" as per description) has been sold for CAD 326!

+ 13.20 shipping.

Another auction by the same seller ended at $275 + $13.20 shipping.
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steve309 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just received an email from the mint that on oct 15 keep an eye out because "something big" is coming and it's in reference to a basketball coin

Anyone know if this is just a basketball coin. Or a raptors championship coin or a raptors 25 years coin ?

Edit: after a closer look it seems to be the old dinosaur logo. Which I assume would be the 25th anniversary
Edited by Steve309
10/12/2019 10:13 am
Valued Member
Canada
445 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  09:58 am  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Raptor Coin: Just released for the upper tier Master club members.

No.175716
Mintagec8,500
Compositionc99.99% pure silver
Finish proof
Weight (g) 31.39
Diameter (mm) 38
Edge serrated
Certificate serialized
*Face value 20 dollars*
Artist Susanna Blunt (obverse)

* The Specs says that it's a $20 face value, but the coin face value appears to be $25.
I don't remember seeing a coin with a face value of $25 selling for just under $100.00

Has anyone else notice this error on the specs? Could it be that the RCM made an error on this coin and should of been a face value of $20.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Valued Member
Canada
445 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No.175716
Mintage 8,500
Composition 99.99% pure silver
Finish proof
Weight (g) 31.39
Diameter (mm) 38
Edge serrated
Certificate serialized

Quote:
*Face value 20 dollars*

Artist Susanna Blunt (obverse}

* well it just got changed to $25*
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
796 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I smell a die mule in the making ... ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right after release:

Quote:

4 months later:
The coin available from CAD 169.99 with shipping charge

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4466 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silveroid: Thanks for the price update.

A couple of the 2019 Shag Harbor UFO coins have recently sold for even less, about $150-155 CAD + shipping (in at least one case, shipping was just $5.00).

Selling prices seem to be quickly heading toward the issue price of $130 CAD - and likely even lower in a few months!

A novelty coin is only novel for a short period of time, then collectors move on to the next thing. This is the world created by the RCM (and other world mints that over produce NCLT). It's too bad, but it's the current reality.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1228 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the Shag Harbour coin is on Amazon at list price - with free 'prime' shipping: https://www.amazon.ca/Sprott-Collec...2222&sr=8-23
Page: of 5
Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 7,074Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05