Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Notgeld Collector Of 46 Years, From Uk.

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 544 / Views: 17,532Next Topic
Page: of 37
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  09:51 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will be good to se what you have.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3275 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would probably take a while to take more pics, but I do have a few pics already...

Starting with the devil theme: this 50 pfennig piece from Staufen-im-Breisgau commemorates the legend of Doctor Faustus. Yes, that one.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a great looking piece of verkehrsausgaben notgeld and obviously been in circulation and used. - super
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3275 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 10 pfennig note from Bad Ems had been overprinted (in red)... to extend its validity period (from December 1919 to December 1920).

I'm not very sure why they did that. Perhaps they were still running out of money and didn't want to just print new notes.

(It appears that the note was originally issued in November 1918, so it already had a fairly long validity period.)

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's another interesting verkehrsausgaben notgeld issue, again. Originally valid for just over a year, it has been extended on its validity period by another year......so it was valid for just over 2 years in total. It was easier to do this than issue another note.......which happened in other localities. For example, we know of notes from Hannover issued in 1917 & 1918 & 1919 & 1920. Paper / card must have been in short supply at these times as we also have examples where notgeld were issued using / reused paper.......like clocking-in cards, calendars, lottery tickets etc.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3275 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 50 pfennig note from the town of Frose in Anhalt is apparently literally half of a 1 mark note, which is... um, how?

This wasn't the main reason I bought it, though; no, that was the pretty blatant rebus on the back side (in German, admittedly, so I have no idea what it says, but the style was pretty recognizable, and I couldn't recall having ever seen a note with a rebus on it before).

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a fairly common serienscheine notgeld, as you say, half of a 1m note. It had a perforation down its middle, which is where this half of the note has been 'made'. The rebus.......there are a few notgeld that have them.......I don't know if it has been deciphered by anyone?
Hope that helps.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3275 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the last, for now. This 25 pfennig from Rochlitz looks pretty much as if a postage stamp had a back side.
About the right size to be a postage stamp, too. That's a 1 euro cent coin for scale here...

Nothing special other than that, though (as far as I know, at least). Just neat.

[EDIT: fixed typo.]
Edited by january1may
11/26/2020 6:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good example of a very small sized verkehrsausgaben notgeld piece. Condition is the all important thing with these types. 'Used' notes are probably worth half of what an 'unc' piece is. The serienscheine used pieces are almost worthless except if they are very rare pieces.......which will almost always never be the case! &
Collectors tend to collect because they like the pieces, so value isn't everything. It's the enjoyment that the hobby brings that is the most important thing here........and the possibility of stumbling on a really rare note that you gave pennies/ cents for #129297;
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3275 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Condition is the all important thing with these types
...Yeah, not for me. I'm not really into high-grade notes, or indeed coins (if nothing else, it's a pain getting the high-grade stuff from shop to home without damaging it).

I think the kind of notgeld that I would probably like most is exemplified pretty well by this 25 pfennig note from Wesenberg...

Yes, it's basically black on white (aside from the serial number). Yes, it's blank on one side. Yes, it's discolored in weird ways, and had apparently been propped up with tape.
(It's also on pretty thick paper - almost cardboard - even in the areas *without* any tape.)

But it's a good reminder of what notgelds ultimately were - emergency money.

(If I ever get to that shop again, I'm going to check if they have a few more notes in that kind of plain style. I really like this note, and I'm not even very sure why.)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  04:37 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you. Collect what you want and the way you want. It sure shows it has a history to it and is a small historical document in its own right.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3275 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, in the scenario that I actually find something unusual, this would of course also be pretty neat.

And this 50 pfennig piece, even if initially looked like a perfectly standard serienscheine type, was in fact a bit unusual...

It took me quite a few seconds of studying the legends to confirm that this note was, in fact, issued by the Leipzig Zoo, and not just by the city of Leipzig commemorating the zoo.

Of course, for all I know it might well be serienscheine anyway, and the condition is not exactly good, but it's an interesting variation from the usual city and town issues. (I hope to get more of such various issues some day.)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  07:26 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is serienscheine, issued by the zoological gardens in Leipzig. Rather tatty though......you should be able to get almost all serienscheine issues ( except for the really rare stuff) in 'au-unc' condition still. They may have very very slight problems.........tiny brown marks, 1 corner slightly rounded etc.......but basically they should be mint. Those that are obviously in used condition show that even pieces just intended for the collectors of the times, saw use in these troubled periods.
Learn More...
United States
92366 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
652 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1m Ennigerloh note with the devil and the owl, depicts the devil (who was sleeping on a bed of straw which caught alight) running off from Ennigerloh with his backside on fire. The owl, usually a symbol of wisdom, but in German superstition more a bird of ill omen, watches on. (The translation has been very difficult for my very knowledgeable notgeld colleague, but at least now, we now what the pictures are about.
Page: of 37
Previous TopicReplies: 544 / Views: 17,532Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05