Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Extreme Macro Coin Photography

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,596Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have any shellcase Cents? Would be good to compare a Cent from just before the war to one from just after, say a 1942P with a 1946-S. Most of the shellcase Cents (maybe all) were minted in SF. Do you need me to send you examples for the analysis? What is the smallest spot size of your XRF?
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Learn More...
Canada
9144 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in Canada. So the answer to your first question is "no". Secondly, given the XRF would be in "Alloy Mode" detection limits are quite high (only two decimal places of a percent). You would get far better results using two cents as "sacrificial lambs" and subjecting them to a proper chemical analysis (INAA or ICP-MS by laser ablation), especially if you are trying to use trace elements to demonstrate your hypothesis.

Otherwise, a simple comparative test would be easy to do. If we were not using mint state coins - I would grind one side of the cents completely flat, so that fresh, bare metal was exposed, and a flatter surface also means less attenuation of the XRF beam (again, sacrificial lambs).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just purchased the Helicon Focus package and I am starting to learn the software. What method are you using to take the multiple pictures without moving the coin. I have purchased Rays set up and am manually turning a micrometer tuning fine tuner. Are you using an automatic fine tuner?. Any help would be appreciated and TYIA. We

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
helicon. myself I use Zerene. my gear is not solid enough to do stacking right now. plus I am having problems with vibration. once you get up and running. Ray puts together a great package. once you learn how to use this gear. you will have a great setup. I will help you any way I can. once my steel comes in from the USA. I will show you my set up. I am just about done photographing vertical. I am getting ready to do my work on coins from a horizontal mount.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gluggo here is a Canadian fifty cent coin. look at the jewels on the crown. these are not attached plus doubled. this is a single photo. using that fine focus er. stacked this would be in perfect focus.
Gluggo once you get use to stacking. I will show you the easy way to identify Mechanical Doubling. using your camera and stacking unit. have a great one here is an image at 20X this is true 20X.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you rocky here is a set up of the fine tune platform I am using. I have to carefully turn it with one hand while keeping it from moving while I start taking multiple shots. It can be done but still a bit nerve racking as I have to be stealthy and I am sure I am ever so minutly moving the pictures. Is there a way to make this automated or do they make a automated platform? TYIA

Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Gluggo...why do you have to hold the platform to keep it from moving? When I shipped to you I put double-stick tape on the bottom. You can move it around and til you find just the right placement, then stick it down there. It stays in place very nicely, but still allows you to move it later if needed.
Learn More...
Canada
9144 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am following this thread with interest, as I use microphotography with my research (mineral grains of sand size, ranging from 0.25 to 2.00 mm), and am a big fan of image stacking. Right now, I contract out a photographer to do this work for me, with about 40-60 images stacked on a mineral grain, such as this pyrope (garnet). I am always in awe of those whom are capable of doing stuff like this.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rmpsrpms

If I told you I never bothered to look would you believe me? I guess I will not have that problem no more thank you! Boy do I feel smart!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP-Ottawa...very nice sand grain image! Do you know what type of equipment and methods your contract photographer uses for this work?

Gluggo...hah! no worries, I guess I never told you about the tape. It will definitely help you to keep things from moving around. What before was hopeless, is now awesome!
Edited by rmpsrpms
06/08/2020 6:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gluggo I was checking some Canadian loonies. I thought I would share this with you. what would you call this. question see the look of the beak. its no longer connected to the loon. I can check coins in seconds.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rocky is that a salmon?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gluggo this is a loon a bird. that Canada uses to represent the Canadian 1 dollar coin. here is a full image of a loonie. I will show you what that is in the first photo. that coin is in plastic. see you can shoot right through the plastic.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1822 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gluggo here is a single photo of the designer initials. struck on to a Jefferson nickle. look at the S this die is failing. see the crack left behind from the strike. only part of the S is on the surface of the coin. the mag I used would be about 12X

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have excellent eyes Rocky. I am a welding inspector by trade cracks are my enemy in our field. Great catch. So my question is we're you able to see the crack just by looking at the coin? Or did you find it while under the scope?
I have a few coins with cracks but they are very obvious. A few that go from edge to edge. I don't think I ever paid more for a coin with a obvious crack some were done during the production of the coin or so I was told. I was just wonder and thank you for taking the time to share and school me. Appreciated!
Page: of 5
Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,596Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05