Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 232 / Views: 8,988Next Topic
Page: of 16
Learn More...
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow this was a fun one @tdz. Great idea for a CCF compendium thread!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think YOU were the one who suggested it!
I sure enjoyed hosting it, and some of the contributions made me aware of possible future additions (ALWAYS a problem with CCF!).
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7047 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got back to have a look at this thread. Now I know who this is!

Thanks tdziemia for hosting it!
Edited by NumisRob
05/13/2020 6:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I think @january1may got us off of "Western" (Roman) saints, and added some who are honored in the Eastern church.

Saint Henry, on the other hand, is about as "Roman" as you can get. Holy Roman Emperor Henry II was the last emperor in the Ottonian line, ruling as King of Germany from 1002, and then Holy Roman Emperor 1014-1024. He was both a pious Christian, and an avid promoter of the power of Christian clerics as a counter to the power of the German nobility. He founded the bishopric of Bamberg in 1007, and was canonized as Saint Henry about a century after his death, in 1147.
He is thus one of the very few saints who have both issued coins as sovereigns. and later appeared on coins as patron saints (St. Ladislas of Hungary is another who comes to mind). Henry appears on coins of the Bishopric of Bamberg (typically the batzen = 4 kreuzer) in the 17th and 18th centuries, and a coin with his image was noted on an older CCF thread http://goccf.com/t/103798&SearchTerms=Bamberg

Here is a 1698 batzen:

Edited by tdziemia
05/24/2020 08:22 am
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like I have missed all the fun in this thread....

Fulda Germany: St Boniface

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more from Germany:
Paderborn: St. Liborius

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eichstatt Germany: St. Walburga (aka Walpurga), St Willibald

St Willibald seated on left and St. Walburga on right

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Freising, Germany: St. Corbinian

St Corbinians on left, king Sigismund on right

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Halberstadt, Germany: St Stephen

1542 taler with St Stephen on obverse

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Osnabruck, Germany: St Peter

St Peter left with keys, Charlemagne right with sword

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bamberg, Germany: St George

Popular St George slaying the dragon on the right.

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wurzburg: St Kilian, St Kolonat (Colman), St Totnan.

Image on right illustrates 3 saints of Wurzburg, martyred in 689 while performing missionary work in the area: Kilian, Kolonat, and Totnan.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
Thanks for those fantastic adds, @wcg. Looks like Sede Vacante types are a specialty of yours?

On the Bamberg coin, I am guessing this is maybe a "twofer" with Saint (Emperor) Henry in the first photo, with what is unmistakably a view from the east of Bamberg cathedral behind him:

Edited by tdziemia
06/15/2020 10:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @tdziemia! There were some fascinating designs that I had never seen before in this thread. I've had a weakness for the sede vacante pieces from German and Austrian States for some time now. The design, historical aspect, and simple thrill of the hunt is all part of the allure.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
669 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow some fantastic medal/coin WCG
Page: of 16
Previous TopicReplies: 232 / Views: 8,988Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05