Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Flying Eagle / Indian Head Collection In Old Album Pages

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,613Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
3734 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I owned that set and wanted to sell I would send to great collections. They will take care of submitting to a TPG and cac. They have the lowest selling fees out there and will promote it to get good auction results. I know PCGS is currently closed, don't know about NGC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
668 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
canudigit: Where in upstate NY? I grew up in the Utica/Rome Area.
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This set is amazing! Thank you for sharing it with us. It is certainly drool worthy for sure. It makes you wonder how many high grade sets of classic coins are sitting stored away waiting to be discovered like this.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your continuing replies! Sorry for my delay is posting - but as you can imagine it's been pretty chaotic here in NY especially with the statewide mandatory lock-down.

RPT- I'm in the Hudson Valley - and looking at the mighty Hudson as I type. I sure am thankful for the glorious scenery amid the isolation and turmoil.

Jason39305 - so funny you should speculate in your post! We have made a bit of progress concerning the mystery of the original collector and some of the extended parts of this collection. We know his name, and exactly who got other portions of his hoard. It is correct (as stated somewhere above) that indeed 3 relatives were bequeathed portions - 2 nephews, and one niece ended up with the 3rd portion. Lo and behold all three got FE/IH album pages! SO... the old dude had a serious passion for this series!! It is yet unclear if these second two sets are still in the family intact, but we are hopeful that at least one other complete set may be similarly stashed away by a great nephew. It is also yet unclear if anyone also inherited a similar portion of gold coinage. Over time this will all likely be determined. That's all we know at the moment. Proceeding slowly and cautiously, and hope to bring any remaining intact portions back to the light of day if possible.

Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so he had multiple sets of this series? Insane !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1723 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm imagining that the other set might actually be better than this one. This thread could be the best first post ever.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Insane is right 1962 Penny! I know ol' Warbucks was a confirmed bachelor and quite likely on the reclusive side. Coins, particularly this series, where apparently his romance and entertainment. Conjures up some vivid sepia-toned images of candlelight and copper for me. I imagine his gravestone might say, "Copper is your only friend......Until the End"! LOL - I have an intense imagination and curiosity of the ol guy! Although I hope to learn more facts, I am quite enjoying my present image of the man.

Hey kppbll - Yeah this has been an amazing opening post for me - well beyond my expectations! This forum has led to a deeply gratifying journey and learning experience for sure. Call it beginners luck!

No confirmation yet that any of the other portions are still intact - or perhaps even further dispersed among following generations. It's going to take some heavy digging through distant existing relatives. BETTER? I don't dare even imagine that! I believe that the original nephew/recipient of this set was considered a favorite.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting the story Alongwith the fantastic pictures.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericmckeown to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am late to the party, but WOW! Unbelievable collection and cool story!
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep. WOW! What a find and great story! the set is simply stunning!
I can't wait to see more and how this story plays out!
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the recent comments from everyone! As you might expect with the Covid crisis the next important steps for this collection are on hold. We also have seem to hit a dead end with any further solid information on the other family inherited portions from Uncle Warbucks. Seems at least one other set that was confirmed by an elderly relative may have been long ago further disbursed. Still a work in progress and will keep you all posted as things progress for sure!
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hoxsie454 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my first visit to CCF in more than two months -- hospitalized with the THE virus. Thats all I'll say about that.

First and foremost, please do not discuss these coins with any family member or your best friends or your minister. The best person you know and trust might mention it to a second quality individual or someone who mentions the treasure while siting IN THE CHURCH PEW where an adjacent parishioner makes note. In my 80 years I learned that loose lips sink ships. Also, good luck in finding a safe place for them.

Be careful who you mention it to on a telephone-- your phone number can be traced to your address very easily.

My suggestion would be to make copies of the copies which you have already made--no more handling the stored coins than necessary. I would send a registered letter with return receipt requested to the President of Professional Coin Grading Service or to President of Heritage Auction and just send a few of the photo copies of the key dates and of course you may have other coins which could make a separate auction among that collectors stuff! The president of PCGS has been known to make an appointment right away to visit the customer to view an outstanding coin. Heritage should be very interested to market that set. Oh, Yes!

There may be a single super collector who would buy the entire Flying Eagles and Indian Heads as is, in the original album pages. Somone who says "I want it! Forget the price!"
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hoxsie454 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh Dear. I commented as soon as I scanned the photograph which tell the basis for my opinion but I failed read you friends inability to remember the name of her cousin. And, also that she is contacting cousins here there and everywhere. Oh Dear. I smell possible problems. Her best advantage is the they were bequeathed or gifted to her father many years ago. Keep the cousins at bay might be wise/
Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is my first visit to CCF in more than two months -- hospitalized with the THE virus. Thats all I'll say about that.
Glad to see you are doing better now.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 6
Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,613Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05