Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Cartwheel Pennies Real?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,470Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
469 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  03:42 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look perfectly genuine to me, and twopences rather than pennies at 57g each. They are surprisingly common in the UK - they were only made for one year and a lot were put aside as souvenirs or for use as weights (exactly 2 ounces). The penny is actually scarcer in good condition as that circulated until 1860 and so got a lot more wear.
Yours are fairly typical above average condition. They do turn up much more worn or with massive bruises on the edges. (Being copper and heavy they damage easily when dropped.) In the UK I would expect to pick them up for 5 to 10.
Here is mine for comparison:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
686 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being an Aussie I'm am by no means an expert when it comes to your cartwheel pennies but I am surprised as I've never seen them before such undefined lettering e.g.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
189 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pwa 1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they are Twopences and real.An easy indicator to tell from a picture is on the Twopence the middle trident prong points to the N and on the penny to a gap.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant tell 100% from your pictures but the S does look a little strange to me as well.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
510 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Ignore these doubts, they're genuine.
You don't get digs and verdigris on coins struck yesterday.
Any Brit collector can spot faked cartwheels at 100 paces.
Edited by Hogarth
05/26/2020 03:47 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
674 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.In the UK I would expect to pick them up for 5 to 10.

You got that for 15 quid?!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
469 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  03:28 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quote:
"In the UK I would expect to pick them up for 5 to 10.

You got that for 15 quid?! "

Actually no - I paid 30 for that one a few years back, but still a pretty good deal I think. Ought to make 60+ in the UK now, probably even more in the US.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
510 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  03:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, at 30, there's certainly decent profit to be had Paddy. It's a nice example, and free of the edge knocks so often seen on cartwheels.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
469 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  04:10 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah yes, but that one is MY one!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
510 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's mine.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
686 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I stated previously, I'm definitely no expert when it comes to your cartwheel pennies but I'm wondering is this a coin that has been readily faked in the past ... and if yes, what are the tell tail signs?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
396 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my Penny.This one is unlisted as it comes with unbarred A Fake ones are easy to spot as they are very crude. The portrait on most look like Mick Jagger

Edited by zookeeperz
06/03/2020 10:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
799 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  12:37 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i believe the hardest for newbies to ID is the re-strikes of these coins however most mints will try not to restrike them on copper or brass, so that most collectors know that its just a re-striked (proofs that are actually from the 18th century are rare and expensive).
Pillar of the Community
United States
532 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought maybe these two pics of my for sure 100% authentic coin may assist you in verifying yours. Yours do appear to look quite nice.

Great Britain: George III "Cartwheel" Penny 1797

"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else."
- P.T. Barnum
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3236 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IIRC, the pennies are extremely common (and circulated a lot, so are frequently found very worn), while the twopences are relatively scarce (and didn't circulate anywhere near as much, so tend to show up in much better condition).

I have about two or three of the pennies, which I paid less than 1 for each.
I have yet to find a twopence within my budget; if they really cost 10+, that's not surprising. The type is on my long-term wishlist, though.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,470Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05