Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On What This Might Grade Out? 1878-CC VAM-11 Top 100

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 713Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52136 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9429 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
78(CC) are typically sharp and bold. yours is just shy of that strike as the breast and talons are a little weak. surface preservations is below average as well as eye appeal due to all the marks and blotchy toning. a little many deductions to pull a 63. MS62. value wise it could be slabbed but I personally wouldnt spend the $$
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS62 at best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4972 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Fingerprint and very baggy.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21645 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62 at best.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-62 as well. It doesn't have very good eye appeal.
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

Mark from the metropolis of Portage, PA
A.N.A. #3206350
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ms 62 I think and if VAM 11 ( hard to see on pic) I would have it slabbed
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely Vam-11
Lines in the eagles feathers.
right wing location at lower part next to leg
looks like a Z.
Left wing horizontal 3rd 4th inner wing feather with several zig zag lines upper part of the wing.
Cool VAM!
Here is the VAM Site hyper link showing what my coin also represents with closer pics. I try my best to get closer pics on this site but my camera just fails miserably.
This is a much better representation of another Vam-11 with quality closeups and the markers designation as a Vam-11
http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/1878-CC_VAM-11
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1605 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with MS-62 here. One concern is whether the heavy contact marks to the right of the eagle's left wing (our visual right) could detail the coin.

If a details designation seems possible, it might be better to leave this coin raw than to have it detailed. If you don't think it would get detailed, VAM-11 is popular, and having it slabbed would be a plus.

What do others think: Maybe a better result here with ANACS than PCGS/NGC?
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes I see it now , was looking on my phone earlier , I would have it slabbed . Maybe ANACS though PCGS and NGC would attribute it as well.
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok...Just got results in from PCGS (made a decision to have it graded) Came back MS-63 with VAM-11 Top 100.
I really was hoping it would grade straight and at least MS-62. This is better than my conservative brain was thinking and this is definitely a surprise. I'm doing much better when I see coins in hand rather than photo's from places like ebay. I think I'm just going to stay away from ebay on raw coins.

Thanks you all for giving me guidance on this coin...It was well worth the extra investment...Love The Coin!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You just never know what your going to get at PCGS, Congrats!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CMH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the grade. I would have thought MS-62 similar to others above.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1649 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations villagekid.
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow I think you got a good grade on her , she looks 62 to me but nice coin regardless
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 713Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05