Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? - With Banknotes! Second Edition!

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 456 / Views: 12,392Next Topic
Page: of 31
Germany
31 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
German Empire, 10 Mark

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
899 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Russia 3 Ruble (1905)

Learn More...
United States
92320 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Russia 3 Ruble (1905)
There seems to be a lot going on here and I think I like it!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
899 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thanks jbuck, Imperial Russia had some really nice notes, with lovely colours & patterns on some of them. Big fan of them
Pillar of the Community
United States
1255 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful banknotes, all! I'm especially enjoying the runs of German and Russian imperial notes. They're certainly works of art!
Valued Member
Canada
385 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Germany 8a 1904 5 Mark

There are English Dragons and Chinese Dragons. This is a German Dragon on the back of this note, protecting treasure.

Germany
31 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because this 5 Mark banknote is so nice, here is another variant of this banknote:
Germany, 5 Mark, P-8b (Serial number 7 digits)
NB! This banknote ist quite cheap on German ebay. In unc about 10 $.

Edited by Caietan
11/26/2020 10:51 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
484 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a fabulous banknote! Would that be the dragon from Wagner's Siegfried, guarding the Rheingold?
Germany
31 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What a fabulous banknote! Would that be the dragon from Wagner's Siegfried, guarding the Rheingold?

Nah, I don't think so. The dragon is just a perfect symbol impersonating something to guard a treasure. But anyhow THIS dragon would be a perfect Fafnir in Siegfried.
Germany
31 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would that be the dragon from Wagner's Siegfried, guarding the Rheingold?

@erafjel
Indeed you are right and I was wrong. I did a Google search and found this article https://www.schlossmuseum.de/sammlu...e-erzaehlen/ where it says that the dragon on the reverse indeed represents Fafner, the dragon from the Nibelungen saga.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
484 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! I didn't know that, it just came to my mind when I saw that dragon guarding a pot of treasures, that it could be taken from the popular Nibelungen Ring.
Valued Member
Canada
385 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada S628a 1903 20 Dollars

Canadian Charter Banknote from the Bank of Nova Scotia. Also known as the Dory Note because the type of fishing boat.

The Scotia Bank still exists though it does not issue banknotes any more. It is Canada's most international bank with branches in the Caribbean and South America.

Germany
31 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bolivia, 1 Boliviano, P-92a.1

Valued Member
Canada
385 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Caietan. That's a very rare Bolivia note. When did you buy it?
Germany
31 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's a very rare Bolivia note. When did you buy it?

@ShareBear It was one of my first more expensive notes.
I bought when I started collecting in the mid 90's.
I paid 52 DM (about 32 US$)for it, together with the 50 Centavos (with error "Fiscal di Gobeerno") which did cost 43 DM (~ 26 US$)
95 DM was a lot of money then, but the banknotes fascinated me, and I don't think that I would get them today for that price.
Page: of 31
Previous TopicReplies: 456 / Views: 12,392Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05