Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Contemporary Counterfeit Coppers!

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 70 / Views: 4,884Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tom,
That would be a Long Neck family member (LN-1A). BTW, halfpennies on farthing planchet do exist but most of the ones I've seen have been cut down manually. (Post Strike Damage)
Rickie

Pillar of the Community
Canada
544 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  02:43 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1773 that I think was cast. The missing-metal areas just don't look like the usual rusted-out areas to me (could be wrong). Some kind of raised ridge from the spear to the face, and more raised spots on the obverse (under V, in front of the chin, and by the ribbons).

Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TerryT,
I think your piece may be a grounder... what your seeing is a die break on the reverse. Here's Mike Ringo specimen of the same variety!

Rickie

Pillar of the Community
Canada
544 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  01:43 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes a grounder turns into an extra base hit. It looks much better in hand so I'll classify it as a beat-the-throw, slide-in double.

Here's what looks like a long-necked 1774 (dipped). Large letters and a high 4. Could be a small clip under the king.

Edited by TerryT
01/20/2021 01:45 am
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TerryT,
That one is the Coin-Y family member... This family was first documented by Peck, as one of the 5 counterfeit halfpence listed within his encyclopedic. This variety is classified as a family mule, which mean the obverse is Romanhead and reverse is Coin-Y. Enjoy...

Valued Member
Canada
137 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been having a tough time trying to ID this regal evasion, at least with respect to Atkins' listings.

I can (somewhat) discern the following for the legends:

Obv GEORGE RULES.
Rev BRITAN NIA. Ex ?

Uncertain of the punctuation due to the wear. I initially believed it to be Atkins 159, but after viewing an image of that variety it is quite different. A google image search yielded a variety having the same obverse with a NORTH WALES reverse of an unreadable date.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
673 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  06:02 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up this one last week - a fairly standard 1775 contemporary counterfeit but with surprisingly good detail.
The blob on the left of the obverse seems to be something melted onto the coin rather than verdigris. I have tried various solvents and heating to around 100C without shifting any of it!

Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PaddyB,
That's a Long Top Seven family member which is briefly discussed in one of the chapter of the book. "Contemporary Counterfeit Halfpenny and Farthing Families". Congrats on your new acquisition...

Rickie
Valued Member
Canada
137 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was surprised to come across one of these and jumped at the chance to pick it up! A Duke of Yorke "Evasion Hybrid" with an evasion obverse and contemporary counterfeit reverse. The crude Irish-type reverse is evidently a die from the Simian family of counterfeits with its characteristic crudity and hand-cut lettering.

Listed as Cobwright D.0020/H.0110 and Atkins 97.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
blargish
I updated my Simian Plate with your new addition... Thanks for posting!
Rickie

Valued Member
Canada
137 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worries! I've been getting back into contemporary counterfeits as of late. Do you happen to have an example of the Irish Simian obverse that pairs with the 1769 reverse?

Also, are those images from your own collection? The Duke of Yorke - Britannia example is fantastic.

Cheers,
Will
Edited by blargish
06/19/2021 12:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
822 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry. Given the thread title the temptation was too great.
Edited by David Graham
06/23/2021 10:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Valued Member
Canada
137 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A rare unlisted variety that one is. any photos with higher resolution?!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
822 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

A rare unlisted variety that one is. any photos with higher resolution?!

Nah. Only low res dash CAM footage.
Page: of 5
Previous TopicReplies: 70 / Views: 4,884Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05