Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 Penny Circle Anomaly?

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,185Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3262 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% not PMD, merclover.

Die rings, like die chips, die breaks, die scratches, die gouges, and die whatchamacallits are some defect on the working die itself. There are numerous examples of the die Wexler lists as 2004 1c WUFO-001 (I think I even have one somewhere). And if I'm not mistaken, a member here posted about finding one in the past week or so.

http://www.doubleddie.com/2397300.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many of these been found of the years, less common on the obverse. All of them are directly center of the die. Ive always thought these were something to do with the lathe myself.
Whatever caused it, its not PMD
Edited by Kloccwork419
01/22/2021 09:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2122 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not PMD for the reasons stated above.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have read that when they are impressing a die or hub, the stock bar used is coned, to help with metal flow I guess. Maybe this has something to do with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5591 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
WADR,if Mike says they are die rings then it happened at the mint before the coins were struck.

Exactly.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1259 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoa guys lets just call it a UFO and leave.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you spotted a UFO, you wouldn't go anywhere...
Pillar of the Community
United States
5424 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
100% not PMD, merclover.

I didn't think this through, you're right, it's not PMD, my bad. I was thinking of other times where we called PMD unknowns ufos. I was wrong, sorry.
ša va bien aller

Edited by merclover
01/22/2021 2:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Merclover, thank you for helping keep this place drama free with that apology. It's what this forum such a great place to learn.
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was quite the discussion. It's part of the reason I enjoy this forum. People are so much alike and yet so often different with their opinions. Ranging from PMD, to die issue. From lathe markings to UFO.
In the end I think you have a coin with issues that do not surface often enough for there to be one definitive explanation. Such as a RPM. So that initiates thought, and discussion, and debate, which only helps in our learning and understanding of what intrigues us in this hobby.
Great post.
Great responses.

Cudos to Merclover for her acknowledging an oversight and her apology in the post.
Thanks all.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like "Crop Circles". Very mysterious.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its not PMD but nobody ever came up with a solution on what causes them. Here's a good link but since then, many more have surface on different denominations.
http://www.error-ref.com/tiny-circl...and-spirals/

I still believe its something to do with lathe lines
Edited by Kloccwork419
01/23/2021 12:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1982 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok , I have done a little turning on a wood lathe but I've never used a metal lathe.
That said , when you want to center some stock on a lathe you can drill a small hole in the end of your stock where you want center to be and fit it over a centering tool like this

At any point the stock can be remounted on the lathe using this point and hole combo.
It sorta makes sense that if a coned shape piece of die stock needed to be remounted in a lathe the point of the stock would be fitted into a small hole to center it. Tighten the metal stock on the lathe and you have nice little circle impression at the center tip of the die cone that leaves a circle on the final coins.
Food for thought
Pillar of the Community
United States
2000 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your scenario may have some merit. However, the rings vary quite a bit in size and are often not perfectly centered. While some form a smooth circle or semicircle, others are somewhat irregular or have irregular features extending from the main ring. Paired, concentric rings are sometimes seen. Given their variability, it's entirely possible that these die rings stem from more than one cause.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever caused them, I still keep mine. There are several known years and denominations but compared to other varieties/errors, they are quite scarce. Since searching coins and these being "a thing" I found maybe 4 and my last one was in 2020
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,185Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05