Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

CCl Secure's Charlie Chaplin Note Introduces The Cinema Security Feature For Guardian Polymer Note

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 2,303Next Topic Page 3 of 3
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to be under the false impression that by just using a polymer substrate, the amount of counterfeits would plunge to nil.
Not true.
CCL Secure posted such a case for Mexico. Mexico's first polymer note had no other security features, save the clear window that by default comes with polymer.
The % of counterfeits plunged, BUT after a year or so had climbed back to nearly the same levels as with paper. Now I don't want to disparage Mexico, but it is not the most technologically advanced country, yet here came passable polymer fakes. The story ends well: counterfeit rates again falling rapidly after adding other security features.
I was also worried if enough money users would be "street smart" to follow the security updates. Apparently being duped into losing money is a powerful incentive.
Learn More...
United States
101893 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I finally received the first commercial note using Cinema, the Lebanon 100,000 Livres note nominated for BNOY...
Very interesting features!
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My memory is fuzzy on this, but I THINK the US experimented with "plastic" postage as well... but I am having a brain-fart... I know their first try at self-adhesive stamps didn't go well. The adhesive or lining paper reacted with the actual stamp. Oddly enough, the design was awful, too!
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AHA! Not totally insane yet:

U.S. #2522
1991 29¢ "F" Plastic Stamp

Issue Date: January 22, 1991
City: Washington, DC
Quantity: 25,500,000
Printed By: Avery International Corp.
Printing Method: Photogravure
Perforations: Die cut
Color: Black, blue and dark red

Although the 'F' stood for Flower on the regular non-denominated stamps, it was purely coincidental that it also stood for Flag on the experimental ATM stamps. As part of the Postal Service's test program with Seattle First National Bank, these stamps were vended through selected automatic teller machines (ATMs) to determine their practicality and appeal.

Seeing as we don't have plastic postage stamps, I think it is safe to assume they didn't work out very well in the "real world". The unfortunate fact that snail-mail is declining every year no doubt means the USPS, unlike the BEP, sees no need to prevent any counterfeiting.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4764 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the most counterfeited note in the world ? most likely the US 100 dollar
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11114 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photos of the Cinema note, currencyden. Very cool. You must have a very nice collection of world notes!
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
U.S. #2522
1991 29¢ "F" Plastic Stamp

Issue Date: January 22, 1991
City: Washington, DC
Quantity: 25,500,000
Printed By: Avery International Corp.
Printing Method: Photogravure
Perforations: Die cut
Color: Black, blue and dark red

That makes sense. CCL Industries, Inc., makers of Avery labels also owns BCA (used to be Banknote Corp of America). Guess what they also make? Now called CCL Secure, it is the maker of Guardian polymer, the Australian inventor. BCA also produced Tyvek, an earlier version of polymer & used briefly by American Bank Note Company.
The original inventor of Guardian was CSIRO. From my test note catalog:
CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization)
CSIRO was formed in 1926 as an Australian government agency for scientific research in Australia. CSIRO played a major role in the creation of polymer banknotes, a revolution in the world of banknotes that started in 1968, when the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) requested a scientific solution to the problem of forgery. CSIRO, RBA and the University of Melbourne joined their knowledge, and in 1988 the first legal tender polymer note - the $10 Aborigine note of Australia.
Here's a test note they made for the 80th anniversary of the organization. I own this piece. It is twice as thick as normal. Cool note.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1347 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
CSIRO, RBA and the University of Melbourne joined their knowledge, and in 1988 the first legal tender polymer note - the $10 Aborigine note of Australia.

-Not a big fan of polymer but this one is very nice. Perhaps it was b/c the 3 parties really wanted to get it right. It is hard to believe its the fist - it just looks so advanced & the colours just jump out (unlike the drab, 2-tone CDN foray into polymer in 2011).
Edited by walk2dwater
05/23/2021 6:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
101893 Posts
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The hologram is great, especially for such an early sample.

It was first released in 1988, the same year the $2 coin was released. However unlike the $2 coin, the $10 notes were withdrawn in 1993 after just 6 years of circulation. The release was a secret trial to test how polymer notes would last before the release of newer notes that were introduced during the 1990's.

The 1988 Bicentennial $10 note was introduced under the theme of settlement and aimed to represent both Indigenous and British settler history.

When the Reserve Bank of Australia released the note, they gave information about the artist behind the the Morning Star Pole (Terry Yumbulul) and they also stated that some of the background artwork was commissioned by the bank from Aboriginal artists. The Aboriginal youth is a former dancer and Lardil man from Mornington Island.

The other side of the note is a representation of early settler days in Australia and features the first boat of the First Fleet to anchor in Sydney Cove.
Learn More...
United States
101893 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
94 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeithM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the new Lebanese 100,00 Livres under a UV light.
It shows fireworks over Parliament Square.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11114 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's awesome, KeithM! You should add that to your very own "Notes Under a UV Light" thread.
Learn More...
United States
101893 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the new Lebanese 100,00 Livres under a UV light. It shows fireworks over Parliament Square.
Outstanding!
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
currencyden - stamp-banknote connection!

I like that fireworks-tagging!
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 2,303Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05