Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Peace And Morgan Dollars!

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 68 / Views: 3,513Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1255 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also it's mandated it must have the year of minting or issuance, meaning, NOT restrikes, so that concern is unfounded.

Yes, that is technically correct, but if they're not restrikes and they're not commemoratives (because they legally cannot be), that means Congress is resurrecting two coin series that ended 85 - 100 years ago so the Mint can produce NCLT. What's to stop them from doing the same for any other long-ended series? I just think it's a bad precedent.
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's to stop them from doing the same for any other long-ended series?
I would not have cried foul if they would have also announced a 2021 Ike for the 50th. There is still time.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Corbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see it already:

Morgan dollar, mintage limit: 2021
Peace dollar, mintage limit: 2021

Valued Member
United States
494 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  07:36 am  Show Profile   Check coincollector123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they do that mintage these would be crazy and stupid to get especially with todays mint ordering website failures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2667 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They should do 21 in 2021, 22 in 2022, 23 in 2022...

And then we have to fight like in the hunger games to buy one. 3000 enter only 21 get out!

And as final challenge we have to figure out the captcha of buses and only bikes keep showing up!
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The slippery slope comes from the fact that Congress, back in 1996, put measures in place to help ensure that collectors, beginning in 1999, would not be subject to the type of abuse they dealt with back in the mid-1930s when the number of new commemorative coin issues skyrocketed. Congress is now circumventing itself - and the wisdom of the limits - by passing commemorative coin bills that ignore the two commemorative coin limit imposed in 1996.

Quote:
What is trying to be prevented by the 1996 law is a year like 1936 that had roughly 20 commemorative coins minted. That is where a slippery slope leads back to. Think about that for a minute...really step back and think about it. The cost to the collector and the realistic underselling that would occur due to designs that just had little excitement (example Girls Scout design).

@commems @scopru

In my view, despite also producing some distinctly bad ones, the 1930's produced some of the best coins that the U.S. mint (or, for that matter, any mint) has ever produced. And I think that the more coins the mint is authorized to make (and the less that they are subject to congressional scrutiny), the more likely we are to get some really good designs once again in this decade--both because trying enough times is likely to result in at least something good, and also because profit motives incentivize the mint to hire good designers/hold contests/etc.

I also think that the definition of collector "abuse" depends heavily on what sort of collector one is. Personally, I collect not for the sake of getting full sets of things, but rather, in the hopes of buying something today that will later be a rarity/key date. If it were up to me, the mint would produce 100 different designs per year, for that is how natural rarities are made without having to resort to things like privy marks/reverse proofs/edge lettering and other gimmicks. Everyone thought coin X was ugly and they had to melt some down to produce the popular coin Y? Guess what, if you were smart/lucky enough to buy coin X, you're now sitting on a key issue. And coin Y also becomes a classic design. In my view, that's a win-win.

I'd also much rather have sets like:

2020 Coin A
2020 Coin B
2020 Coin C
2021 Coin A (or D)
2021 Coin B (or E)
2021 Coin C (or F)

than

2020 Coin A
2020 Coin A with privy mark
2020 Coin A with special edition edge lettering
2021 Coin A
2021 Coin A reverse proof
2021 Coin A minted in Guam,

or, if we're going to have variants like that, that they at least be consistent from year to year and not be different one-off variants each year.

If there is one design-related standard that I would enforce though, it's limiting the mint to one font per coin--which a particular pet peeve of mine with respect to the new silver eagles, which use two different fonts on the back.

As for as the Morgans/Peace dollars, I really hope that they are minted to the exact specification of the previous sets. That way, there isn't ambiguity as to whether or not they are part of the set--in the same way that there is still a bit of ambiguity as to whether the 2016 gold Mercury/Standing Liberty/Walking Liberty coins are actually part of the Mercury/Standing Liberty/Walking Liberty sets.

But like I said, I hope that in addition to this, the mint also makes 100 commemoratives next year, too--in the hopes that at least one or two will go down in history as classic designs, and that at least one or two will become organic rarities. Well, one can dream, anyway...
Edited by msl2196
11/11/2020 08:50 am
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can see it already:

Morgan dollar, mintage limit: 2021
Peace dollar, mintage limit: 2021
Oh no!
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With only 657 million Morgan dollars coined, the supply is exhausted. Like the Susan B. Anthony coins of 1999, merely a hiatus in production from 1981. The Morgan dollar itself sat idle from 1905-1920 so this resumption of coinage is not unique. 190 Million Peace dollars with a break from 1929-1933. So unless they've revoked the legal tender status of those, the forthcoming coins or the 90/10 composition of the coin itself, I don't know why they'd need House or Senate approval. The U.S. has never demonetized anything although debasement is routine. As usual, if you want them, buy them. It is very easy to not buy them also ; so easy that it's my first choice.
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know why they'd need House or Senate approval.
Because the Morgan design was superseded but the Ike, which was superseded by the SBA, which was... you get the idea.

This same legal situation is what keeps giving us the recent silver medals instead of silver dollars. The mint cannot just reissue any old design they want.

The gold bullion coins are different. Their legislation gives the mint more power over design choice.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose that's whether (you) consider it a 'reissue' ; (I) consider it a 'hiatus' if nothing has been changed since the coins were last issued. Morgan was superseded by Peace, then Ike, then SBA ad nauseam. All 3 except Mr. Eisenhower took long breaks during their production only to be resurrected and resumed ; it seems as if that's what's happening unless they produce bogus copies like the gold Mercury, S.L. Quarter, W.L. Half. or JFK Half like a few years ago. (Wrong size, metal, different inscriptions etc).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1255 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(I) consider it a 'hiatus' if nothing has been changed since the coins were last issued.

Well considering that dollar coins aren't struck for circulation and silver was removed from circulating coinage over five decades ago, I'd say a lot has changed.

Quote:
Morgan was superseded by Peace, then Ike, then SBA ad nauseam. All 3 except Mr. Eisenhower took long breaks during their production only to be resurrected and resumed ; it seems as if that's what's happening

While it's true that those series did have breaks, they were 17, 6, and 18 years, respectively. It's been 100 years since the last Morgan dollar was struck, and 85 years for the Peace dollar. That's more than a long production break; reviving these coins series would be unprecedented in the history of American coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2667 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly as long as they are available I'm buying them! I'll collect the 2021 series of both but will only do the Peace dollar if it's continued.
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has nothing to do with gaps in production...

When new designs come out they legally replace the old ones. In other words, the mint can no longer legally mint previous designs as coins without legislation to reauthorize them.

The only exception is gold bullion coins. The legislation that authorizes gold bullion coins allows the mint to issue any design they want.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted Today  17H 36M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're in danger of sounding like a group of lawyers here. 'This legislation , that exception, blah blah'. Once again with paperwork or not, regression is the underlying theme; the discarded/discontinued policies of yesteryear and their nostalgic comeback. I honestly do not care one way or the other how or why the legislators legislate (because that is what they do?). I would like to see the provision in 'the law' that definitely disallows reissue of former designs without new congressional process. I've never read any of the coinage laws/acts in detail so if someone here could please point that out, I'd like to read that part. Mr. College is correct - 85 or 100 years is more than a break in production ; it is a miniscule blink of the eye of history.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 22M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only exception is gold bullion coins. The legislation that authorizes gold bullion coins allows the mint to issue any design they want.

Here come the 2021 Morgan and Peace gold dollars (think 2016) with a mintage of 1921 for each.
Page: of 5
Replies: 68 / Views: 3,513Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05