Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Holiday Exchange - Secret Santa

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 430 / Views: 24,387Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
762 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Alex's MRI shows no tumors

Fantastic news. A parent could not wish for more. .
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1908 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Carrigna

Quote:
I am surprised you would make a wee profit off your granny!

It shocked Grandpa, however when Granny was growing up 1890s/1900s, Scottish coins were still occasionally in circulation. The Macintosh of Macintosh, laird of Moy, where Granny lived with her grandparents, paid 12 times face for any Scottish coins. Granny told me that with the first chunk of savings from such sales, she went off to Inverness and bought the Iliad in Greek and the Aeneid in Latin. I have those books now. Although, they cost her a ridiculous amount, they only have sentimental value now.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1908 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Carrigna

Quote:
I think it is a bit odd that the Government would continue issuing silver 3d coins along more common brass 3d coins. Was it because of the Puddings?

It was odd. Certainly it was nothing to do with puddings. Pridmore said that it was people complained how easy they were to use but if that were the case, why didn't they do so before.

Quote:
I think we stopped putting coins in our Puddings but I do know some people will buy a silver token in the place of old 3d coins.

Here, people that wanted to flaunt their wealth would put tiny cast silver objects (collectively known as fairings) - animals, thimbles, boots, horseshoes in the Christmas puddings.

Learn More...
United States
32530 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did everyone get their gifts?
It's 2021, RENEW your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
764 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering the same thing, Richard if anyone wasn't able to receive anything, I'll be happy to post an extra gift.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with molydeii in sending another gift if someone hasn't received anything.
Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Choose your words, for they become actions.
Understand your actions, for they become habits.
Study your habits, for they become your character.
Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny.

ANA Member since 2007.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with molydeli and okiepb on sending gifts to the remaining recipients here so we could have a great closure to our 2020 Secret Santa!
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pertinax,

Awesome to know that in your granny's time, one could get and use old Scottish coins! I guess in her time those coins were getting fewer and fewer. Made a lot sense that the laird would pay a lot of money for those coins. I am impressed that your granny had a classic education according to her books she bought?

Lovely to know you still have her books even if they cost her dearly. The books were not cheap back then.

Who's Pridmore? I would have to agree with both of you on this. Indeed, it is odd!

Aye, I had heard about that, too. One year, my aunt accidentally included silver 3d-sized coins issued by Australian Mint in the packet she sent to me. I was puzzled and asked my Dad to ring her. It turned out it was supposed for her family's Christmas puddings. She told us to keep it. I still have it. But, some people did what you mentioned.

Many thanks for sharing your memories with me about your granny and coins! Appreciate it very much!
Learn More...
United States
32530 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ho Ho Ho ?
It's 2021, RENEW your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Learn More...
United States
14277 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still have one member who did not receive a gift and I believe it was Santa's fault.
So I am working on putting something together.
rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1908 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Carrigna

Quote:
Pridmore said that it was people complained how easy they were to use but if that were the case, why didn't they do so before.

I just re-read my comment - it was wrong.
It should have been
Pridmore said that it people complained how easy silver three pence coins were to lose.

Major Fred Pridmore was the expert on the coins of the British Commonwealth - he published a lot of books and articles; I'm surprised he had time to do any soldiering.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here, people that wanted to flaunt their wealth would put tiny cast silver objects (collectively known as fairings) - animals, thimbles, boots, horseshoes in the Christmas puddings.

Sounds like some of the sterling charm bracelet charms I've picked up for scrap over the years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pridmore said that people complained how easy silver three pence coins were to lose.

Reminds me of the story of Levy Street in Alexandria, Virginia, which I guess was near the City Hall. It was not named for a Jewish person, but for the 1/8 ("one bit" from the old cheer) Spanish dollar pieces which were constantly being lost and found. These 1/8 dollar pieces were not only small, they had a sharp end. They were called "levys" because, while they were supposed to be worth 12 1/2 cents, they were actually valued at 11 cents, being notoriously underweight.
Edited by Arkie
02/18/2021 1:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
977 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MINT_MARQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

So I am the lucky one that will be receiving my secret Santa gift last this year.

I promise to post a picture when my gift arrives so that we can call this year done.

While we wait...anyone want to hit my trade experiment with the paddles? http://goccf.com/t/78707&whichpage=26

CLEAR!!!!

KURCHUNKA!!!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1320 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe so, maybe no MINT_MARK, I still haven't received mine either. I must have been exceptionally bad last year. Wish I remembered it.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Page: of 29
Previous TopicReplies: 430 / Views: 24,387Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05