Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Three Latest Pottery Pickups

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,694Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
5883 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would assume so, Dave - although, of course, it may well have held milk or any other liquids in its day.
Learn More...
United States
23558 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely piece Bob, it's amazing how it stayed relatively in one piece for thousands of years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5883 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Ron.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2291 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes another little beauty Bob!...Nice 'Colouring' (English spelling).....Looks very similar in style to your number 3 example but bigger? Great provenance, the Sackler collection looks pretty amazing.
Congrats on adding this one to your very impressive assemblage......
Pillar of the Community
United States
5883 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Paul.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4796 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing everything here, Bob (I've been lurking... the few electives I was able to take way back when were usually ANthropology/Archaeology))

Quote:
...it may well have held milk or any other liquids in its day.

Maybe even a wine carafe?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5883 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe even a wine carafe?

Pick your poison, Ted.

My favorite kind of table setting:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
607 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thought I'd toss in another update to this thread. Today I received my third ex-Arthur M. Sackler Collection vessel. It's from NW Iran and dates to Iron Age I, meaning late second millennium BC through early first millennium BC. It measures 9 1/2" (24.13 cm) tall. It's pretty austere, definitely an example of form following function. It is unglazed and has a simple shape reflecting its function as a jug. It's got a rim chip with a big gap where a sherd has gone missing.

I never cease to be amazed at the skill of these craftsmen, Bob. The body of the jug is almost a perfect sphere.

Quote:

To see the collection all together like this is quite breathtaking. What a lot of history there. If only they could speak!
Learn More...
United States
19621 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pick your poison

Bob, I guess that is where I was going--can you tell what a particular jug was used for based on the shape? I don't know anything about this, but it seems logical that olive oil, wine, and water might benefit from differently sized/shaped containers. Or maybe I should still to coins...
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5883 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jim.

The table setting is actually staging, in preparation for moving these to display cases. Finally, after a very long delay (due initially to the pandemic, and then to stock issues at the local IKEA), I was able to pick up a couple of display cases today. With several rounds of houseguests coming over the next few weeks, I won't be able to assemble/set up the cases for a bit. But soon. In the meantime, I wanted to gather up the material.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5883 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave - yes. I understood the gist of your question. Were there different forms for different contents? I simply don't know. I believe the answer is "yes" when pertaining to the Greek poleis and Roman world. But, for early Iron Age Iran - I dunno. I suspect the form was not differentiated based on the liquid to be used, but that's just a guess.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4796 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pick your poison, Ted.

When I look at an array like that, and your comment, I reflect on how many medieval sovereigns died by assassination by sword or potion.

I'm just gonna assume that's a longstanding tradition ...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2291 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely stunning collection Bob! ..
This group shot shows how the Bronze and Pottery compliment each other.
Glad to hear the display cases have arrived, a fair few hours of enjoyable work, setting this up, ahead of you.
With your Artistic nature I'm really looking forward to seeing how you'll position the pieces.

All in all Bob a wonderful collection steeped in history!
Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
876 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob, congratulations on the addition to your growing home museum. I can't wait to see them displayed. I recall you contemplating on what kind of cases to purchase, I'm sure you did well. Yes, setting up the displayed will be half the fun. I once set up a display for my school, coin cleaning and bits of ancient coin history.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5883 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome and educational display there, TC.
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,694Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05