Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 869 / Views: 22,248Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2779 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be both Ryurazu and congratulations for showing an 1850s piece!

Holloway tokens like all pre 1860 "Bronze" coinage was in fact copper, which was not as durable as bronze and thus pitted and corroded easily (Just look at most 17th and 18th copper halfpence and farthings!), also my Cartwheels are not a sight for sore eyes either.

Sea damage I would expect to see some rust or black accretions, many Holloway tokens came on other ships and were used heavily. I looked him up and Holloways controlled a huge patent medicine empire that foundered in NZ at least in 1903, when an act banned Quackery, Mendicants and Patent Medicines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Holloway

However he also sold ointments and some better pills, he died very rich and endowed the Holloway College, that hellaspooky gothic pile in the Total Eclipse of the Heart Video.

Now today's challenge - show your least favourite/ most worn and messed up item!

Here's mine back by popular demand, the star of 1912!

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
04/01/2021 05:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1071 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  05:20 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice Rob, also see some very old land sale document sometimes go under the hammer.

I wonder if someone can beat aug 1845 :O
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8896 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  06:04 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane, I can't beat your 1912 sixpence. This 1914 florin is my worst Australian coin!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2779 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yuk!!! When they declared World War One, they came after that coin first!

It comes darn close though, mine is not much better.

Misery loves company
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3059 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this was my most worn.

as for most messed up, I'll let you decide between these two..

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2779 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That penny, oh lord.

Standings - Most worn, PT for that 6d (Hopefully it will never been seen again)
Most #$@%ed up - Triggersmob, 1924 Penny remnants and accretions
Oldest item - NumisRob, 1845 letter
Most interesting - Ryurazu, Holloway coin
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3059 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No more posts on this thread for a week, so I guess we have reached the end.
Been a great journey.

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2779 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you can think of something?

I am still keen to keep posting here or on other threads. Thinking of starting some threads around Pacific Island coins like Fiji and New Guinea.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3059 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking along the same lines, but south Pacific rim, so we can take in a few more countries. South of the equator, but touching the Pacific ocean.

Thoughts?

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2779 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good, I have those 2 South American silvers, but for me the Moananui a Kiwa (Great sea of Hawaikii, pacific ocean) may be it for me.

So if you guys can provide the Latin coins, I can provide many Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Vanuatu, New Guinea and PNG, Indionesia, Singapore, Malaysia and French Polynesia, Caledonia, but only Fiji to any great degree.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3059 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Singapore and Malaysia may be too far north, but the rest would be good.
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2779 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We could do this thread with Fijian and Papuan coins, but some years there would be zilcho and we would be finished in 1934 except for the ultra rare German stuff of the 1890s.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18708 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  03:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to have an Adelaide Pound (1852), but that was sold waaaay back in 1976, to help raise deposit on our first house.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3059 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We could do this thread with Fijian and Papuan coins,

With Fijian coins, apart from 2 coins, I couldn't go back further than 1954 and PNG it would be 1975. Be nice to see what others have though.

OFEC count = 237
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18708 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins issued specifically for New Guinea (by the German Neu Guinea Compagnie), go back to 1894, when NG was a German colony.

Before then Dutch colonial coins were most probably? used.
Reason for the (?) has to do with the fact that the New Guinea economy was completely undeveloped way back in the early 18th century.
Page: of 58
Previous TopicReplies: 869 / Views: 22,248Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05