Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Made A Beginner Cheat Sheet For Understanding Iso, Shutterspeed, And Aperture

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,312Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Minnimarine I go from iso 100-200 depending on color of coin most times I set to a low apature like f6-10 also depends on coin and lens that would be for my 50mm but if I use my 300mm then 11 to 12 shutter speed I'mpretty high because less blurr with any kind of motion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Eyez I'm using a Nikon 75mm with a helicoid. I'm starting to get it together. Grabbed some literature on it and then did some shots. Mostly trying to learn the definitions. Never did camera stuff. I'm learning. It seems 100 does pretty good. I will play around and see how it goes. Just picked up a 1905 Fredrick Baden 5 mark so I'm gonna take some shots and then move to smaller coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sometimes thats all it is Minni learn your equipment and to do that play around.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im trying. Not much of a computer guy. Got the software downloaded finally. just to dumb to figure it out. I cant even figure out how to turn the flash off lol.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you got this Minnimarine, just little curve ball tats all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been taking pics and recording my coins on those sd cards with the computer. Cant figure out how to resize the pictures down to 300k still. No complaints about the ones I posted already. With the detail in these pics my coins I ask for grading have dropped lol. I like logging my coins like this. I almost remember where I got them and a few are the reason I collect. The coin looks great from just the eyes , but the camera shows you the coin without makeup on.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I use Microsoft Paint not sure if that is a free program but it has a resize feature. I just keep doing 50% and in about 3 to 4 times doing this it will get below the 300 maximum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i use gimp which is open source Photoshop basically and you can also resize file by pix or scale or both.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
120 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got my first DSLR A Cannon EOS 1100D I think with the standard lens with like 35mm mid zoom.
Have been using it in full auto but am going to have a great play with it now I seen this guide. Ironically have no printer ink so take an Ipad with the Cheat sheet with me :)

Sue
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SueCoin What did that run ya if you dont mind me asking?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8070 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding software for photo editing. I posted elsewhere on CCF but it probably should go here, especially for beginners.

I was a professional photographer for about 2 decades working for an Atlantic music recording artist and doing sports (mainly gymnastics, soccer, dance and auto racing).

I use Photoshop and Lightroom, but I realize it's expensive and complex for many. Adobe offers the photographer's package of both programs through Adobe Creative Cloud for a cost of $10.00 per month.

I've tried GIMP and while it's usable it's hardly ideal in all situations or easy to use with a wonderful user interface.

An alternative I've been demoing for the past month and I am very impressed with is from a company called Serif.

They are offering a 90 day trial of their 3 main software programs, Affinity Photo, Affinity Publisher and Affinity Designer. Each program is very similar to Adobe products Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. The cost is the kicker they are half off currently at $24.99 per program for Windows and Apple OSX, and iPad $9.99. They run on Windows and Apple MacOS and iOS.

I've been forcing myself to use them instead of Adobe programs over the past month and a half, so at this point I am coming around to getting a good handle on them. I heard about Affinity Photo due to my other hobby of Astrophotography, Affinity Photo has some special features to help in processing my astro shots. I've been also using it to edit all photos I've posted on CCF since early March. I'm really liking it for the cost it's not free, but almost for it gives you. I urge you to watch the demo videos, and see if they might be right for you.

I've been VERY impressed so far and have had no crashes of any kind. Every strange photo type I've tried to open has opened flawlessly, formats like .JP2, my Canon raw .CR2 files, old Photoshop layered files, .TIF, .JPG, .PNG, .GIF, it doesn't directly open my FITS files from the astronomy camera, but then neither does Adobe software.

Here is the link to where you can request the trial serial numbers and software programs as well as learn a bit about the programs and see the demo videos.

https://www.serif.com/en-us/

You do need a separate license for each type of program and OS you plan on using it on, so Windows 10, Mac and iPad would require 3 purchases. The Apple versions are also fully optimized already for the new M1 chips (doesn't apply to me - yet).

I'm seriously considering switching over from Adobe to save the monthly cost I would go from $120.00 per year to a one time payment of $24.99 (until a major update I'm sure). That's almost an extra $100 you could spend on camera gear or coins! Give it a shot and let me know how you feel about it.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
04/17/2021 1:49 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
120 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Minniimarine Am from Scotland but am taking it as "how much did it run ya?" as how much did it cost?
It was 40 in a bag with the standard lens and 2 batteries.
I had to buy a charger from Amazon for about 10 but got 2 off 1.2 Ah batteries so 60 all in.
Its an entry level DSLR and 10 years old but immaculate.

Using the cheat and a Tripod I did a test on Shutter manual 30 seconds looking at the Moon and when I got in out the cold saw a red ball speed trailed because 30 seconds exposure next to the Moon but checked with Sky map and it was Mars hehehe.
I cant afford the Macro lens right now as its about 300. I was shocked to find out its standard lens mount accepts lenses that cost up to 6000!

Sue

Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You c@Suecoin you can order the Nikon 75mm lens and the adapter on ebay for about $60. CCM helped me huge.

As far as resizing I figured out how to send it through email to resize and then dont send it. I lose track of these folders.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Westcoin have you tried setting up for email downloading and cut paste to another file (I think) it automatically decreases your photos for like Tender and such. I still cant figure out how to set my ISO and I'm in manual shot lol. Pictures are fantastic just by using natural light. Black background and at night LED light. Use a couple different size cans to raise the coins if need. Almost like trying out a new scope for my rifle. This is my rig, and because of this forum and the folks here, it was affordable. Thank yall and Ray for the ebay links and explaining stuff in layman's terms.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8070 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what you mean by setting up to email photos?

I shoot Canon cameras primarily and use the Remote software from EOS Utility included with the camera or from Canon's website. I change all my settings using the software on my computer over the USB cable hooked to my EOS DSLR. I also adjust all my focus that way as well, as long as I am using one of my Canon auto focus lenses, sometimes I have to go manual focus when I use my macro bellows setup, but mostly I shoot with the Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro lens. I'm only switching over to the bellows when I need extreme close up shots, as it is a slightly sharper set up I find I can shot so many more coins in a shooting session using the Canon auto focus lens.

For software for decades I've been a Photoshop user (since version 2.0.1) and now using it as well as Affinity Photo (see my post above). One thing I haven't tried but might like to in the future is focus stacking, but I'd like to automate the entire thing, the moving the camera the shooting etc. that will take some doing with a motorized rail setup, not unlike how my autofocus works on my telescope set ups.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,312Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05