Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1855 1c Braided Hair Large Cent Newcomb-9 "Knob On Ear"

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 741Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2603 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i was watching this auction today. Got a bit too high for me to try and buy it for resale. The obverse has some strange splotchy color variations. reverse looked nice except for one spot of verdigris. Sharpness of xf-45 I would say. E-bay bucks bring price down for you?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7755 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sure did. I thought this was the nicest of the many coins this seller was liquidating. I also bid on the regular slanted 1855 which had nicer surfaces but a heavy rim ding. That one was just outside my reach. I bid 88 cents less than the winner so I could have git it if I had bid $1 more. This one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9927 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would have begged off the second one due to the rim bump. I think it would have detailed (ED) for that
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Knobby I 'd go EF45...on the'55 I would not have bought it.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say XF-45 on the one you bought, very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5209 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For comparison purposes here's one graded XF-45:

Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7755 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My example looks to have less wear than the NGC graded example imho.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2603 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
saw the other 1855 coin but did not like the rim ding. The coin Kanga showed had a bit more wear especially on reverse but I think the uniform nice brown color is better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1809 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be glad I didn't win the second one. Rim bump makes it details imo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NS...Your knobby is much better than the NGC...but yours is not an AU...the NGC s/b an EF40. Don't believe the slab.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
7755 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't grade the NGC coin at XF. Perhaps high VF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9927 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't grade the NGC coin at XF. Perhaps high VF.

way too much detail in the hair, lower curl, leaves and overall sharpness of the coin to hold it to VF. of course you can grade your coin where you feel comfortable with it
Pillar of the Community
United States
7755 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like fortcollins said, the knob in the obverse is raised which protects the central obverse features. The reverse of the NGC coin gives a better indication of wear and all the leaves in the wreath are worn flat, not something you expect from an XF coin. The surfaces look dull like they've been sandpapered.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7755 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This finally came in. Thoughts? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1915 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your photos reveal more of the coloration. The obverse issues sure look like chemical reaction from liquid dripping on the surface. It definitely hurts eye appeal, but it's retoning well and shouldn't detail it. IMHO, this one would be another example of the EF-48 technical grade that someday will appear. It looks just shy of AU. With the eye appeal issue, I'd hold at EF-45 net grade. Very good buy for that price.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 741Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05