Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 Dime W/Unknown Image On Reverse, Help!

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 69 / Views: 2,822Next Topic
Page: of 5
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are raised. Hope this helps..?
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you call this "Bionic vision" on obverse? lol!
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's pretty effective if you look at the pic and imagine the sound effect when Steve Austin would employ his bionics lol. If you've never watched "The Six Million Doller Man" kids just oogle it. It's worth it.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will say this coin does have an underlying intrinsic super power that has compelled me to examine it, A LOT!
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All joking aside, are the lines a mint error or PMD?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2000 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area outside the hump-shaped line appears to be acid-etched. That's why there's a "step".
Error coin writer and researcher.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow... I've never really examined this side of the coin much. The more I look at the raised lines in front of the nose, the more it looks like the lines are metal that should have been in the "nose eye socket" area? Is this possible or just a coincident? The lines almost correspond to the pitting?
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone else had suggested that as well. Is this an intentional process or just a fluke from an auto shop/industry? Thank you so much for your consideration.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just searched acid etch coins. The coins I found were dull, sand blasted looking almost. This coin is quite shiny on both sides including the raised and lowered area. The photo's that I took on an angle make the coin appear dull from light and digital effect.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1979 dime I found lying around as a control to compare. Both the '79 and 67' are in similar condition. When you look at the control lettering around the perimeter it actually looks like the "image" on my 1967 is raised. Is it possible nothing has been removed =, only raised. the lower portion on my 67' looks to be at the right elevation in comparison to the control?

Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kulman47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Middle peg of the E to me is a die break. The whole thing to me is a cool die crack.

It doesn't go include the leaves b/c they are higher up (the negative if you will) in the die and haven't broken yet.
Edited by Kulman47
01/03/2021 11:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first, I was hoping that there was an exotic die event explanation. It didn't look like typical forms of PMD. But after reading the thoughts of others and studying the pics more, I am in the old (literally, as in done a long time ago) acid etch camp right now.

1. It explains the "step" as Mike Diamond said.

2. It explains the different toning. The middle area appears brighter. The outside is dirtier and duller, especially around the letters. On the other hand, I don't see a way die events would explain the difference in toning.

An acid etch doesn't have to leave grotesque pitting or reduce the weight enough that the coin wouldn't still be in tolerance, even with a scale capable of enough precision to get an adequate measurement. In a previous life, I did these types of experiments on aluminum. With a mild etch, it sometimes was easy to see an effect under magnification that was almost impossible to get a corresponding mass loss on, even with balances capable of weighing down to the milligram level.

3. As another member said, the area around the E has a similar line which is bothersome to explain. Acid etch explains both areas. For the die event explanation to work, it would seem that two things would have to be going on at the same time.
Edited by Numiscrat
01/04/2021 01:51 am
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, there is another camp that I might revisit: the glue (really any foreign substance) on the back. That also could explain the difference in color/toning. I realize you did the acetone soak as instructed, but there are adhesives and finishes (some epoxy formulations, as an example) which are very solvent resistant by design, and again, detecting a thin film with a scale capable of plus/minus 0.1g would be unlikely.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Semipro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone! The amount of attention considering my find is flattering. I finally have a favorite web-site after all these years. You guys are great I've learned more in a few days than in the last couple years. I can't thank you all enough. I'll try to find something more traditional for my next post...?
Page: of 5
Previous TopicReplies: 69 / Views: 2,822Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05