Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 D Nickel Error? New Better Pictures Added

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 556Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1661 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will get some good pictures in a few hrs.

Fair enough.......
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5405 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratsunracing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here are a few good pictures, including a side by side with a normal nickel.

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratsunracing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would it help if I got measurements of the OD thickness of the coin where the lip is at, where it is flush with the coin, and compared that to another similar year nickel?
I appreciate all of the help and you welcoming me into the community! I have been cruising through posts for the last few days and learned a lot already.
I was upset I lost a nickel that was colored exactly like a penny, well a quick search on this forum let me know it was just environmental damage turned it that color and it was nothing special.

Thanks again!
Eric
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratsunracing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone have anymore thoughts, should I hang onto this coin, or do you think it's just damaged?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50108 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks rough like damage. Is the coin under weight? If so, the coin was damaged. (should be 5 grams to be normal)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratsunracing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No It's 5 grams but that is on a harbor freight digital scale IDK how accurate those are? I did test with another nickel and it showed 5 grams as well
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50108 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try another nickel on it to see if the tare is set. If it show 5.0 then it would give tenths. it is just say 5 then it may be not accurate enough? Or maybe the normal edge metal was moved, but still on the coin? If so, it maybe bulging outwards on that area?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
01/15/2021 2:14 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratsunracing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay,
Just took it back to the scale and double checked the scale was level, zeroed, etc. It does weight 5 grams and a tested with 2 other nickels to confirm they both showed 5 grams as well.
So the upper part of the coin has less of an edge like its overall thicker in that area, and the lettering is a lot less pronounced. I dont know if this is from wearing differently due to damage? I appreciate your assistance, I am learning!

Eric
Pillar of the Community
United States
2121 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could this be a partial collar strike?

You may need to add an image or two of the edge of the coin where the discrepancy is. And a good clear full image of both sides wouldn't hurt.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratsunracing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately I do not have my USB microscope at home, here are a few pictures I have from my cell phone camera. One thing to note is at the top of the coin the ridge is almost non existent, this is the same on the rear of the coin where the "ES" in states is.

Edited by ratsunracing
01/15/2021 9:38 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratsunracing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have looked through 100s of pictures of partial collar struck coins, as well as broad struck coins. Both varieties have similarities to this coin, but I still don't know what to think. I do have a coin shop that is fairly close I could take it to and see what they have to say. Before I do that I am going to take it to work and measure the thickness compared to another coin because I believe this coin is thicker in spots compared to a "normal" nickel.

I had this coin in with a bunch of other coins and a old watch with a leather band. I believe the leather band caused the coins to start growing green stuff. I read to only clean coins if absolutely necessary and if I do use only warm water, is that accurate? If not what is the best way to get rid of the nasty green stuff growing on some of these coins?

Thanks again!

Eric
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50108 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A partial collar would be wider on the area not in the collar. The OP's coin looks like something had been
placed over coin (Pipe perhaps) and then hit with a hammer. That would push the metal and distort the edge of the coin. (leaving the shavings where the damage stopped)
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
01/16/2021 7:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
551 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an old, worn out nickel.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 556Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05