Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1838 O/O Seated Liberty Dime

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 707Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It straight graded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4240 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since you don't agree with the grade...I'll say they put AU-53 on the slab. Reverse looks hi-AU/MS obverse brings it down, I'm seeing many ticks under that wonderful toning..IMO
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2206 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure in hand it's more obvious if this is AU or UNC. Agreed with GF, lots of small ticks, primarily on the obverse. That obv scratch likely dropped it 1/2 to a full point. AU58-MS60/61 for me.

Regardless, nice example and congrats on the pickup.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2902 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AT
Pillar of the Community
United States
9955 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have coins where the scratch is way smaller than those on this coin and they detailed it. you said it graded straight so I would be happy with that especially with the other obverse scratches under the toning. AU58 or MS62. I'm leaning MS
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty coin. Nice toning vs. scattered ticks. I'll go MS-61
Pillar of the Community
United States
2990 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU-58 to me, nice natural toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1746 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd give it the "it's mine" grade. It's a beautiful coin, you seem to love it, as long as you're happy with the price who cares what a TPG said. It's yours. You said it straight graded so it could be AU58-MS63 to my uneducated eye. I love the stuff around the obverse rim.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the slab. I paid strong MS(61) retail (not dealer, unfortunately) money for this beautiful dime. NGC slabbed it as MS(62), which seems awfully generous. I am pretty sure the toning is natural--a family member left some silver US coins in albums for over 50 years and some of the coins toned like this, so AT would never occur to me here. In my humble and limited experience, the "scratches" seem like common bag/contact marks I see often on "low-end" uncirculated coins. The marks on the obverse, despite looking better in hand (than in the photo) beneath the luster and toning, seem to me more indicative of an MS(61) or maybe even MS(60), although I have never actually seen a coin slabbed as MS(60). I wonder why NGC called it MS(62)? Where is the line between MS(61) and MS(62)? In both the photos and in hand, I failed to see any wear, so I am curious why so several people called it AU(58). Is there some wear on the coin? that I am missing? One area (of many) where I have much to learn still is in the difference between AU(58) and MS(61-62) on Seated Liberty coins, especially the small ones.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
453 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A big part of grading is surface preservation. There are dings in the fields and that scratch on the obverse doesn't seem to be just a bag mark. You've got a small scratch coming down from the ES on the reverse as well. One could argue slight wear or weaker strike seen in the head, which takes away a little of the detail in the nose, mouth, and hair. You can see this minute wear on the wreath as well on the reverse. All this considered they probably were on the fence between 61 and 62, but gave you the 62 due to eye appeal. She is a beauty and anyone should be happy to own this piece. Take your coin and compare it to the MS-65 ones from PCGS. You can see the difference.
Edited by Lembafc
01/14/2021 12:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1688 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NGC slabbed it as MS(62), which seems awfully generous.

I'd be thankful for a 62 and leave it at that.
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
2902 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a photo of your coin in 2005 with the same cert number. The coin sold at Heritage in 2005 and 2008. In 2008 it sold for $4600. Congratulation on your purchase of a beautiful example that was graded correctly. It appears that the coin was recently attributed O/O.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Slider23, for showing us this past photo of the coin. It seems that it has been slabbed by NGC for a while, and I am guessing it may have been in an album for decades before that. I got it for significantly less than that 2008 price and I love the coin--it will represent its type very well in my US coin collection. I am trying to learn to navigate some of the "gray areas" between AU(58), MS(61), and MS(62) more effectively, and I am thankful to this forum for helping me learn through experience.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9955 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am trying to learn to navigate some of the "gray areas" between AU(58), MS(61), and MS(62)

when you have a heavily toned coin it makes it even more challenging determining the difference between these grades. having the coin in hand helps a lot as one cannot rotate a photo in the light, which in a lot of cases, is needed to see minor wear from circulation especially if its a high end AU58. for the MS61/62 it typically comes down to the eye appeal and number of surface issues, scratches, abrasions, small dings etc. on your coin I did not see any circulation wear based on the photos. I felt it was not strong enough for a 63 grade and not enough issues to drop it to a 61. therefore MS62
Pillar of the Community
United States
7786 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  03:05 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking dime, I've always loved the Gobrecht no stars in the field look the best. I was a bit late to the game, but pegged it at MS61 before I scrolled down to post and saw the grade had been posted. I missed the O/O mintmark though.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2¢ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 707Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05