Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Quarter American Memorial Park Die Crack?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 438Next Topic Page 2 of 2
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grizzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the metal is raised and there is no indent in the coin that a scratch would make. I can try to get better pictures but the metal line is bloby clearly sits on top of the coin.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grizzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pictures definitely aren't doing it. I'll get better pics later.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a deep scratch. The pics are fine. The metal is pushed up on both sides of the scratch. Its not a crack
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38527 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I agree with a deep scratch.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3620 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll wait for the next photos. OP says the linear feature is raised. Good images will help solve this one.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grizzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll get better pics but there is no indentation in the metal. Only raised blob metal. On the last picture you can see the line then the top of the 0 is untouched and continues after. Wouldn't something causing a scratch in that area cause damage to the top of the 0?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3620 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suggest taking a few photos at an angle, not 90 degrees vertical.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll get better pics but there is no indentation in the metal. Only raised blob metal.

Alrighty then.........
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
903 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others that say this is a scratch. Metal is clearly displaced by the object that scratched the coin. This is clearest (to me) in the first closeup image.

In the second closeup image, there is a skip in the scratch to the left of the hand because this part of the design is recessed compared to the parts above and below the skip. If this was a die crack, there would be no skip.
Edited by Classic Coins
01/15/2021 4:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reason there is no scratch in the 0 is because its incused. If the 0 was raised, there would be a scratch. There is no doubt that this is just a scratch on the coin
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grizzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok since the 0 is incuse and I'm an idiot it has to be a scratch!I'll still get it under better magnification just so I can see and not make that mistake again. I'll post a for real cool error coin next time! Thanks guys
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50138 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cutting with a blade leaves a trench surrounded with a raised side on both sides of the cut:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Youre not an idiot. Just an easy mistake to learn from
Pillar of the Community
United States
4231 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes PMD...but you got a great attitude when asking and or finding errors......good luck on future finds and remember to have fun....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 438Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05