Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

NGC Certifies First Known Sacagawea-Presidential Dollar Mule

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,768Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I first saw this it was pretty obvious this was made intentionally,

Wrong! It's a real mint error, PCGS says so.

Quote:
but how it got out of the mint is a mystery.

Probably in his shoe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7760 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That nail is graded MS65 too! No wear almost a perfect nail. The slight bend is probably what kept it out of a higher tier grade.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That nail is graded MS65 too! No wear almost a perfect nail. The slight bend is probably what kept it out of a higher tier grade.

That is hilarious!!

I want to know how the spring one got out of the mint as well. You'd think that'd catch an eye.

Mint shenanigans...I guess it's hard to really know what another person would do, but I can't imagine that a mint employee would risk his or her job (and possible prosecution) unless they A) felt they could get away with it, and B) intended to make enough money to be worth the risk. Also, if they struck only one, I doubt they'd let it out for circulation. If they struck multiple coins and let some out for circulation so someone else would make the "discovery," the fact that it took this long would have made them nuts. Criminals don't tend to be that smart or patient. And now they'd have to wait some more because right now the value of the coin isn't really defined—more will need to be found in order to get some idea how rare they are, right? A person who was counting on making big money off this could die of old age before this really paid off.

There's probably a flaw in my thinking somewhere (there usually is) but I'm leaning towards the belief that A) this truly was a mint error, B) it was discovered and corrected early, so that only a small number were released, and C) the majority of those are still in bags somewhere, but will be found now that people know to hunt for them.

Are there a lot of collectors for this type of coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5587 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update:

I was just informed that it is going up on Heritage Auction block soon.Their Rep. on the way to pick it up.
Will keep you posted.

Any $$ guesses? let's see who come close

Quote:
Curious why send this it to NGC and not PCGS?

Not sure,it was the owners choice I guess.
UPDATE:
just got this message last night:

Quote:
Here it is Mike! They are coming to get it in the morning

Edited by Chase007
01/26/2021 5:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7052 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun thread and lots of great info here - thanks!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snobro110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing!
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  12:45 am  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice indeed. Curious why send this it to NGC and not PCGS? Personal preference or are they better for varieties and errors?

Stay well!
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was just informed that it is going up on Heritage Auction block soon.Their Rep. on the way to pick it up.
Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Any $$ guesses? let's see who come close
Might need to do a poll or a contest once the auction is up and can be linked.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4838 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! What an amazing discovery. Can't wait to see how it does on the auction block. With lots of hype around it currently it might bring a hefty price.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be better to start a new topic in the Contest, Quiz, and Giveaway forum.

I could split this out, but it would make Petespockets55 the OP.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5587 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck,
Thank you very much for your help,you are always appreciated.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2824 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think of the Cheerios Dollar when I see how long it took to identify this coin. It was 5 years before they certified that a prototype reverse was used on the coins sent to General Mills in 1999. I had one in a drawer for 13 years before learning of the detailed tail feather reverse die used on the Cheerios variety.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,768Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05