Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1950 Wheat Penny Weighs 2.78 Grams

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 597Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4231 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a list of years that the Philly mint minted coins for foreign Nations? If any of those coins were copper and similar in weight? But that's a big long "rabbit hole" to go down.....Just a thought...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about it just being as simple as the coin blank sheet was rolled too thin to begin with? And all the blanks punched from it were undersized.
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because I'd rather chase down the complicated option and find out it's not that, than take the lazy way out and never discover what it actually is. Maybe it is just a thin planchet. Except its the same thickness as every other 1950 Wheat penny in my stash.
Edited by Yorkish
01/18/2021 11:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post/ question..
I have tried to replicate different types of damage on pennies. Sometimes I think I get pretty close, other times I have to throw them away. Of all of the things I have tried using Acids was the biggest trip. In a matter of minutes I was able to reduce a 3.1g healthy penny down to under 2 grams. But there would be noticeable, more likely though severe damage. Finally to unrecognizable state.
I do not believe yours was introduced to acid, it still looks too good. That being said is about all I have to contribute.
Hopefully you will get an acceptable response from one or more of our forum studs..
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest you look here. 69 page pdf on foreign minted at US mints.

https://minterrornews.com/news-5-13...he_mint.html

Did a word find through the pdf shows only one 1950 copper foreign coin and its to big. But there are lots in 1949. Phil mint made the 5 Centimes for Haiti with diameter of 19.9 mm and weight of 2.75 g. That's very close to a Wheat penny and also your weight.
Edited by sheldius
01/19/2021 12:14 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6443 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, has me stumped. My first impression is that it's a fake coin but perhaps it could be from different stock, Philadelphia was making foreign coins at that time, although I can't imagine a copper alloy weighing that much different. You'd have to get it scanned to see what kind of metal it is. My first impression is that it is a fake coin, but I can't tell you. Very interesting, I look forward to seeing what other people say.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sheldius I was literally just looking at the Haiti 5 Centimes lol good thought! The biggest issue with that one is that it is copper-nickel and appears much more silver in color than this coin, but without one in my hand I can't really say for sure. I guess I'm probably just going to have to have it scanned to know for sure. Now to locate somebody nearby with the capability. This is probably nothing, and I'm ok with that. I'd rather just know and have a physical example so I can learn to spot or avoid it in the wild dependant on whether it is worth saving.
Edited by Yorkish
01/19/2021 12:34 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd rather chase down the complicated option and find out it's not that, than take the lazy way out and never discover what it actually is

Well @Yorkie, did you ever find out what it actually was?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still trying to locate someone with an xrf scanner close enough for me to drive to lol I love in an extremely rural area, there's not much nearby for business in general, let alone someone who would use an xrf scanner on the regular. Any suggestions?
Edited by Yorkish
01/29/2021 12:40 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, All I can think of is some pawn shops have them XRF scanners and I'm sure jewelry stores that buy used jewelry would use them. What is a CEF scanner or is that the same thing?

Edit: Just thought maybe scrap yards would use them too, but not real sure

Edited by Rothery
01/28/2021 6:55 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55970 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried weighing this on a different scale?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a rolled thin planchet. What made you weigh it?
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Rothery I meant to type XRF scanner, but my autocorrect must have picked it up and changed it lol I've fixed it though.

I have weighed it on 2 different scales, and made sure they were calibrated correctly. I was just weighing some of my wheaties just because I was bored, covid 19 does strange things to people doesn't it lol I had considered a thin planchet of course but it doesn't appear thin stacked next to other pennies, and the devices are very crisp for a circulated wheatie.

Edit: in case anyone is wondering, I am well versed in the use of scales. Especially for fine weights.
Edited by Yorkish
01/29/2021 12:42 am
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i hope you found a rare one keep us informed on what you find out
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will. I think I've located a place that can do the scan but they're a fair haul away so I'll get there when I can.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 597Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05