Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Acquire Additions To Your Collection?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 789Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15031 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy from coin shows and e-Bay , I will not buy from online dealers that do not have photos of their coins for sale .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 2020 I bought most often from eBay, but that was mainly because I didn't know about other sources such as Great Collections and Heritage and I didn't want to visit LCS due to COVID-19.
Recently however, I have checked out a few LCS and noticed they mostly have lower grade coins (G to F) which is not what I am looking for. I do find more and more online coin shops though that I tend to check out before heading to the larger auction websites.
Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a token from eBay a few weeks ago and that was my first numismatic purchase from the 'bay in several years I think. Most everything I buy comes from OUS auctions.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3818 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Local coin stores and small/regional coin shows and occasionally local auctions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4559 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responses thus far.

@grape and @ijn, as @attic points out, even if you buy through several channels, you should just pick out the most frequent. So if you buy 35% from LCS, 25% from eBay, 20% from online retailers and and bits here and there from CRH and auctions, you would answer LCS.

That may not seem like an answer that accurately represents you pattern, but ...

@NumisRob. That's a big OOPS on my part that I did not list as an option "from circulation." I've fixed it by combining with CRH (as it seems these are both coins in circulation?)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4215 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 2020 (when it came to coins) most of my time was spent organizing and labeling my collection for when they get passed down and I'm gone. Used gold,silver,red,yellow and green stickers so my girl would know which have value and how much also which ones can be spent so another collector can find and then there are some which will be given away (contest time here on CCF..) However I did buy around 20 coins from eBay and the US mint. Haven't visited my LCS since early 2020.....California and the stupid shut-downs. 2021 will be smarter buys with value and more reading for knowledge. I guess you could break down my buys...eBay 40%, LCS 30% (miss talking to Vic) US Mint 20% and then On-line
auctions 10%
Forgot about CRH...been hoarding (and will be hoarding) my change and boxes from my bank to check during retirement years,still some years away but hay why not store them up before someone else finds them.
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
01/24/2021 12:10 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2449 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of my purchases are off Trade Me, a New Zealand based online auction site (I don't trust ebay and its not popular here).

I also buy a lot off several friends who have retired friends wanting to sell their collections and 2 old lady friends who own a thrift shop and sell me all the coins for a donation.

Neither of these options is in the poll, then again NZ is one of the few countries which is not that affected by Coronavirus (That may change with a leaked community case).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
Lithuania
51 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's missing two key options - trading coins with other collectors worldwide - I did at least 50 trades in 2020 and getting newly released coins right from National Banks (valid for Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine) and also from mints.
I rather a seller on eBay than buyer so getting coins from auctions would be a preferable option from the list.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4559 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously I missed trades/swaps

As for mints, if you are ordering from them online, then they are an online retailer.
Valued Member
United States
348 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was first starting off I used ebay a lot, but I've come to find you can't beat the prices you'll find at shops/shows and I hate buying a coin that I can't look at first, pictures never do the same that seeing in person can.

Because shows have been out of the question for a year now, my current mains are my LCSs, but as soon as shows are back on I'll likely be 90% shows and 10% LCS
Learn More...
United States
97989 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before COVID, coin shows were the king for me.

My last coin show was in February 2020 and I bought one coin (a big one though). I have no idea when the next will be.

If this poll were exclusively for 2020, the US Mint (Online Retailers) would barely edge out eBay.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shooligan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
US Mint and local auction houses have been the source of my buys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most routine coins come from eBay. Dated stuff from the 1400s comes from MA-Shops.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4153 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've dug thousands of coins one hundred years old or older. I get most of my collection that way.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pre-covid, I bought the majority of my coins from my LCS. I bought a smaller portion...25% on ebay. A smaller portion came from CRH and Coinstar, etc.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 789Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05