Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Oven-Baked, Colored Flying Eagle?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 764Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
7823 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He's bought coins from me and they go from chocolate brown to colorfully toned.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yikes what an ugly coin
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18354 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am always suspicious of coins with what looks like to have very attractive toning.

Almost impossible to prove if the toning is natural or artificial.
So I just ignore attractive toning, when it come to value, despite the the fact that I do actually appreciate the toning.

Because of the equal plusses and minuses, attractive toning has a net zero effect on my decision to buy or not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1645 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad he ruined a nice FE. Also likes to do that to Indian cents.
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've often wondered how much of his stuff straight grades. To me, it's a one-look AT. But I do wonder about this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2892 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of this guys AT work gets straight graded by NGC. Below are three works of his that are for sale on his eBay site that were submitted in the same NGC batch.

Edited by Slider23
01/25/2021 3:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How are any of these "RB" or "BN"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3582 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Related topic, fun read:
http://goccf.com/t/353982
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18354 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slabbed coin certainly not RB or BN, imho.
The color presented is neither,
irrespective of if the toning is artificial or natural.

Still a desirable coin anyway.
Extra or less value? - probably slightly less for me, because I can't satisfy myself about the cause for the toning.
Edited by sel_69l
01/26/2021 05:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Slider23, thanks for posting his NGC examples. That's disturbing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7751 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  03:43 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep looks shockingly similar to some examples I did on IHC back in my early days of learning with a butane torch and some aluminum foil wrap. Has the heat treated look for sure.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking blow torch, too, Westcoin. Years ago I would sellers at coin shows trying to unload their "toned" coins for a high premium. Always a bit suspicious of toned coins since I really don't know enough about natural toning to make a fair comparison.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
United States
7751 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might still have the IHC I payed with, most were VF-EF grade low dollar coins that had been cleaned to a bright orange look already. I do remember getting some incredible rainbow colors on them using the butane torch, but also ruined a few with scorch marks and bubbling on the surface from the extreme heat. I of course never made these to defraud or sell, it was after an ANA summer seminar where Bob Campbell was first beginning to give his fantastic talk on the perils of AT on coins of the day. When I first heard this it was only a 30 minute "Bull Session" with a paper handout then a question and answer period that Bob did.

The NNP has his talk in a video:
https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/560383

I've posted it before and I wish there was a newer talk recorded with better quality video, but it's still very pertinent information, Bob started doing this talk back in 1994 or maybe even earlier. I know there is also a copy of his 1994 ANA Convention talk on NNP as well.

Still a great video to watch for all collectors.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
02/01/2021 3:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westcoin thanks for posting the link to Bob's talk. I finally watched it this past weekend (saved it from the last time you posted it) and it is a must watch for anyone interested in coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I watched Bob's talk too, and now I can say with certainty that the Capped Bust half dollar posted by Grape has natural toning.
Edited by NumisEd
02/02/2021 09:25 am
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 764Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05