Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970-D Penny Very Off In Color And Sound Sounds Higher Pitched When Spun On

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,026Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1741 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam C Vance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Light dont do the coine justis and I shall deffiantly Wahigh the coine I'm quite interested in it just bc I have here is a different photo hopefull it will bring out its wherd and I compaired it to 3 of my 4 1970-D here are the picks

Edited by Adam C Vance
02/14/2021 12:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4345 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the photos provided, I see a range of common, circulated '70 D memorial cents. Copper cents take on a variety of coloration over years of circulation--some coins gather crud, some are exposed to different 'corrosive' environments (which can result in environmental toning), some coins are cleaned by well-meaning people, some coins are colored-in by kids (and the coloring partially wears off), etc.

The more Lincoln cents one comes across, the more variety in appearance one will see. I've been searching Lincoln cents for decades and have seen quite a variety when it comes to coloration/appearance.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51688 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check to see if the coin is normal weight? That can affect the sound. The color can be altered with using the wrong solutions on it. (Also can thin a coin and weaken the devices if an acid is used)
Copper cents and zinc cents do sound different on a table.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5635 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was a buried coin at one time and the chemical reaction due to the soil and moisture have done their number on this coin before it was cleaned.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam C Vance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you now I know I did not know about ccorrosive where on a coine thats pretty neat
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Light dont do the coine justis and I shall deffiantly Wahigh the coine I'm quite interested in

If you are running a voice recognition program you might want to see if it's operating properly also.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam C Vance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I'm sorry I'm just not good at English even tho it's my primary language I was just pushed ahead every year with Ds and Fs on my report card because I was older than the other students I'm sorry for my bad grammar I'll try to find a voice to text soft where......and I'm still working on getting the scail its hard when my friend works and wrecked his car this winter and my room mate works and granny can't walk or get out any more and we only have one car I'm sorry I'll do my best to get it tonight if not tomorrow if there booth off work
Edited by Adam C Vance
02/27/2021 9:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
843 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In fact the "copper" penny is tombac. In that year was 95% copper and 5% zinc. This alloy is tombac.

quote: "modern enamel tombac or emailer tombac - an alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc, suitable for enameling, therefore the name".

Probably the coin was clean with some kind of acid and come back to the melt state colour.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam C Vance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry y'all I'm trying to keep y'all up dated on the status of getting my coin scale back so I can post the right weight but things have not been the smoothest at home roommate can't drive any more bc he was busted driving with out a license and we had to spend somewhere near 700 to get it out of impound and my buddy wills car is still trashed from this winter when he slid Into a curb and broke his front right axle and now his car will not stay straight on the road soo his car is out my roommate can't drive my grandmother can't drive I don't have a license and my scale is in another town as soon literaly as soon as I get the scale I will posts the weight of the 1970-D penny that looks like some kind of acid damage with heavy scrubbing
Pillar of the Community
United States
3348 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
modern enamel tombac

Enamel? That's not what coins are made of at all.

Tombac for coins has a higher zinc content. For example, the Canadian nickels of 1942-1943 that were Tombac were 88% copper and 12% zinc. According to Wikipedia (where Silvio got his quote) the correct name for the US cent's 95/5 alloy is "Gilding Metal".

But that's unrelated to the original question anyways. I agree that this coin appears like some sort of environmental damage, some chemical reaction discolored the coin, then it was either cleaned or worn down by circulation.
Edited by Tanman2001
03/09/2021 09:25 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51688 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid can thin a coin a lot:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam C Vance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I finely have my scale back here is the weight of the 1970 d penny
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just slightly underweight, supports the acid damage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
843 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Tanman2001.

Your name of gliding metal is the old name for this kind of tombac. Even the what you look ( Wikipedia ) will give you same name like the alloys metallurgical books "enameled tombac" which are use today.

Your old name and the modern name are synonyms. Personally I use the last names but accept the old also because is hard to change people to the new nomenclature.

I give you here the specs of this alloy (you can check if I am wright):
ASTM B36, a cold roll alloy, yield 50Ksi, tensile strength 56Ksi, elongation on 2 inch 5%, hardness (Brinell scale)114

Hope at your satisfaction

Silvio

PS the wright way to say on collecting will be just: tombac, brass and bronze.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,026Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05