Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Jbuck's 1922 "Plain" LWC Dansco Hole Dilemma

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,225Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...are there supposed to be two 1922 options?
Ugh! It was fine yesterday.

I fixed it. I guess at some point it did not like the non-alphanumeric characters I had in there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3687 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the things I don't like about leaving an open hole long term is that the coin behind it shows through - and to my tired old eyes, it looks like the hole is filled sometimes. So - oh, you have an 09-S VDB! NOPE! I've got a 21-S showing through
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the replies.

It seems that "The Copper Blank I Found" is the popular choice to fill that hole I wish Dansco had not included.

I have always wanted the 1909-S VDB to be the last hole filled in my album and I think I have a solution. I could focus on the 09SVDB. When I find one, I could put the blank into the 22 Plain hole and then place 09SVDB in its hole. Album complete.

Of course, if that blank ever bothers me I can "upgrade" that hole. I typically do not like upgrades, but I know plenty of you play the game.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16974 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or, you just scratch off the lettering on that page and forget about it. LOL
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or, you just scratch off the lettering on that page and forget about it. LOL
You know, that thought crossed my mind. Copper blank in the hole, a little acetone to clean off the label...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1802 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put a weak-D in that slot. My reasoning is that since the no-D was simply a die polishing issue, the weak D would illustrate the progression toward the ultimate absence of the D. I just wouldn't pull the trigger on a coin of that price for what it is.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17335 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the D isn't visible on either of them, then why do they call it a weak D variety ?

Because die pairs 1,3, and 4 can come either with or without the D showing. Die pair 2 always has it missing.

Quote:
Oh c'mon. You either own a '22 Plain or you do not.

But even if you have a 22 "plain" it is still a 1922 D cent
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just wouldn't pull the trigger on a coin of that price for what it is
Pillar of the Community
United States
778 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dremel moto-tool will remove ANY trace of that D... :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put the copper D token from the mint set
in the hole in my album.
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dremel moto-tool will remove ANY trace of that D... :)

Quote:
I put the copper D token from the mint set in the hole in my album.
Pillar of the Community
United States
905 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I responded with "leave the hole blank". I see it wasn't a popular answer. My second choice would be to fill it with a blank. I never felt that a die error or variety was a requirement for a "complete" set. I don't like it when albums include these. I am glad that my Dansco Mercury dime album doesn't have a hole for the 1942/1 (the Whitman album does have this hole). It is complete and I am happy. Work on saving for the 1909-S VDB and forget about getting a 1922 "plain". Just my Two Cents worth (the two empty holes).
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the comment. It is looking more and more like that the blank is headed to the hole. I am just glad it is a nice chocolate brown to match the other coins on that page.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll throw my hat in. I have a handful of date and mint collections for various types and denominations. However I see myself as having two different collecting styles, the first is a variety collector, and the other a series collector. Therefore if I'm collecting a series I tend not to care about the varieties. For example, with the Buffalo nickels my Dansco has a slot for the 18/7. Being that I'm collecting by date and mint, and not variety, I elected to fill the hole with a regular 18-D. Not like you can really tell the difference at low grades anyhow. In your case I'd just fill it with a weak D.
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great perspective.

I still have the weak D search saved on eBay, so if a bargain presents itself I may need to consider it.
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,225Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05