Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1778-1928 Cook Half Dollar Help Please

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 784Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with CoinFrog, larger and clearer images are gonna be necessary

The Hawaii/Cook Half Dollar is one of the keys of the commemorative series, a series that is rife with counterfeiting due to the high prices. As such, some suspicion is expected, and nice clear photos will help us give a more definitive answer
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clear Pics:

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone know where can get this coin appraised (location Honolulu, HI) and eventually auctioned and sold?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56865 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start by reviewing auction results at http://www.HA.com, then take it to a couple of local coin stores for their opinions. It is called the "Hawaii Discovery Sesquicentennial", or simply the "Hawaii" for short.
Edited by Coinfrog
03/22/2021 09:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3891 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1111 Bishop Street , Hawaiian Island Stamp & Coin.
Great to deal with .
Edited by Pacificoin
03/22/2021 10:37 am
Learn More...
United States
99353 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I merged the two topics. Please keep to one topic per coins.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  03:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for speedy responses as usual fellas. Ya'll always come through with helpful accurate info! Keep up the good work!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5697 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, this is definitely a coin that needs to be inspected in hand vs. via images.

To my eyes, the surfaces have an odd look to them, but I can't tell if it's an artifact of the images or the porous/grainy appearing surfaces are real. I would definitely take the coin to the dealer recommended by Pacificoin - and one other if possible - to have them examine it and render an opinion. If genuine and undamaged, it is worth from hundreds to $1,000+ depending on grade.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56865 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems is the CCF expert on the entire series - his advice is well heeded.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7074 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

The coin does indeed appear to have grainy surfaces based on the photos provided - making the authenticity of this key date somewhat suspicious.

Please visit a local coin dealer or two for their on-site views - let us know what you hear.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I inherited this coin from my Grandfather who, to the best of my knowledge, would not keep anything counterfeited or fake to begin with. I honestly think that this coin is legitimate and one local dealer seems to think it is as well... I have taken the steps necessary to have the coin authenticated snd graded via NGC. This is going to be my first time actually submitting a coin for grading and honestly I am hesitant on letting this coin go via USPS. Can anyone reassure me with some past personal experience? Or at least enlighten me with the "what to expect" , "who I should contact", and "when to plan ahead"? Anyone anything?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5697 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure some others will relate different experiences, but all of mine thus far have been positive.

When I've sent coins to a grading service, I've sent them through USPS using Registered Mail so that the package is signed for throughout the delivery sequence. Each package has arrived at its destination fine.

I've also never had any issues with the return service - all coins have arrived as expected. I always declared honest values for the coins/medals so that the proper amount of insurance is provided for the return trip. Trying to save a few dollars here by declaring artificially low coin values is a mistake IMO, and could prove costly if something does go wrong.

Of course, the alternative is to submit the coin directly at a coin show, but I don't know if that's an option for you. Another option is to have a local dealer submit the coin with others he/she is submitting - they likely have a solid process in place.

Good luck! Circle back with the outcome!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
99353 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have taken the steps necessary to have the coin authenticated snd graded via NGC.
Good luck! We look forward to hearing some good news.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56865 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, good luck indeed!
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's good enough for me. Okay. Thanks for the positives people! As usual it's a pleasure speaking with y'all and I WILL let you know the outcome.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 784Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05