Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 LMC Decent Cud

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 728Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1596 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, Silver Cents! Hope the classes are going well. I just had my first less-busy week of classes in a while and had a chance to do a hunt.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Durwood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes SilverCents it is a cud.I'm not saying that it isn't a cud, it just looks like the zinc is showing. Is the cud incuse? I'm just asking because I'm curious.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4402 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Durwood...cuds are always raised and I believe this 82 cent is a 3.1 grammer...easy way to tell (without a scale) is on the reverse the "vases" on each side at the base of the stairs will show black spots (zinc) on most circulated 2.5g (zincolns)...this post was not meant to bash you, but to give you a little more knowledge for your collecting journey
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
03/08/2021 1:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3292 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The real question is whether that's a rim cud on the coin as well up by TRUST.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4402 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TB...good eye.....your up early today...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1596 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good spot, Tropical, it does look like it could be an additional rim cud up there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty nice!
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Durwood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greasy Fingers, bashing didn't even enter my mind. I like how honest everyone is. I was just asking, politely.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4402 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Durwood... good to know, sometimes new member take offense into how they read some comments so I added the "bashing" so my post wouldn't seem like a negative...all good.....keep asking and have fun
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. Very nice cud before detached from the die. Nice cud example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cud SC.

It is a normal cud but the light can play tricks with our visual perception. When it happens to me I have to do a perception "reset" by consciously looking to see where the light source is coming from. Then I compare what I'm seeing to a similar known part of the coin in question that is raised or incuse to adjust my visual perception.

I took some time to do this in reverse, to see if I could mimic what Durwood was seeing and was able to. But this cud is only a perception issue due to lighting and not any type of lamination.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2835 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks as always y'all! And thank you CH27, it's just that time of year again when things are kicked up a notch.

Thanks Sam! Ah good for you! I wish I had that kind of time.

Durwood no the cud is not incuse, it is raised. Greasy Fingers nailed it.

Oh my I didn't even realize there was a rim cud there, I was too enthralled by the cud itself! Thanks a lot for pointing that out Bats!

Based by the looks of it, it is indeed a rim cud. I checked the rim itself and there is no indentation that would symbolize metal movement.

Pete, you are exactly correct. I've still been stuck with the same $50 microscope, so lighting is generally a problem constantly. I have a very difficult time trying to get wide shots.

Here's some photos of that rim cud:

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50743 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last images are showing a rim cud, not a die cud.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2835 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed Coop, that's what I was trying to show.

Meaning, that there is both a decently sized die cud, with a minor rim cud on the obverse of this coin.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1318 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice. I think you should call this a Rim and Die Cuddle hahaha
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=387871
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 728Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05