Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Mint's New 2021 Pricing

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,212Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
884 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
buying anything from the mint is no longer economically viable for me. I shell them with the occasional blue email letting them know why I will never buy anything from the mint again, but I know my words & feelings mean nothing to them. they pretty much tell me so in their canned responses. so I hold back my money. they won't get that anymore.

how many different silver eagles we gonna see this year? more than 3? I'm not interested in silver eagles anymore. the mint ruined it for me. I don't want to buy more than 3 silver eagles each year (actually, 1 or 2 different is enough), but the mint insists on making a bunch of garbage out of the silver, or makes far too many different ASEs, or makes limited special ASEs that I'm not going to go after. a feeding frenzy on the mint's website is not how I enjoy the hobby. engaging in that frenzy is not enjoyable for me & is not how I want to go about collecting. so, since the mint soiled the ASE for me, I'm done.

but it's not just the ASE; it's everything. it's the LES set, it's the unending new reverses on quarters, it's the W mintmark on other coins... it seems like every time the mint does something it's another incremental nudge out the door for me (as far as dealing with the mint directly).

i agree: everyone who is not happy with what the mint is doing ought to email them & let them have it. repeatedly. you have nothing to lose by doing so.

once the type l reverse ASEs are done, I'm out. I'm cutting it off right there. my ASE collection will only cover the type l reverses. as far as I'm concerned they can keep their overpriced ASEs with security features & weak reverse design. someone'll end up paying for that stuff, but not me.

show them you are displeased with them by frequently emailing them & telling them about it & don't give them your money. withdraw your funds & support.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  03:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big-Kingdom, you are probably not going to like this because I sure don't but they have released the prices for the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars at $85 each with mintages for the Morgans set at 175,000 and for the Peace at 200,000. No doubt a sellout within minutes of the release date and then we will all have to pay some huge premium to obtain less than 1 oz of .999 if we can find them.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
US Silver Proof Sets have always been a pleasant investment...until last year....even with the extra quarters, $60 was just a bit too much dough. Saddened for all the collectors who are turned off because of this "business sense"
Pillar of the Community
United States
3543 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only ever completed the bullion ASE and I'll probably complete the new set 2021-till I'm dead...

The price of silver proof sets became more than I fell is fair. I'll get the few coins I do want, but I'll get them on the secondary market.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17388 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
t they have released the prices for the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars at $85 each

And that is an additional price gouge. The 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars have the exact same specifications and the commemorative dollar coins, but the Unc Commemorative dollars are $74 and that includes a $10 surcharge that the Morgan and Peace dollars don't have. Without the surcharge the commemorative dollars would be $64, so why are the Morgan and Peace $85? A "21" for the collector, and an extra $21 for the government?
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
04/17/2021 09:14 am
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericalynn13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I canceled my auto enroll. I am also in the every year since the 90s camp, I felt last years was too expensive, odds are I'll cave and still buy at this ridiculous price but when I am able to spend the extra $$$.

Its so annoying, they talk about surveys and other ways they listen to customers, but clearly thats just to check off a required "we asked" box in a computer form somewhere. **sigh**
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if Congress should change the charter of the US Mint.
Perhaps it would be a good idea if the US Mint only concerns itself with minting business strike coins for circulation.
Any commemorative such as the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars could be a competitively bid contract between Congress and one or more commercial mints. The design will still be carried out by a Treasury/Congress designated artist, but the actual minting and pricing will be done by the commercial party/parties. That way, there can actually be some sort of market competition which, hopefully will keep prices down.

(Edited for clarification)
Edited by NumisEd
04/18/2021 6:07 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm torn. Like others, I believe the asking price for the 2021 silver proof set is ridiculous. With $2.16 face and about $25 worth of silver, $105 seems extreme. Debating canceling my subscription for the set even though I can afford the asking price. Just doesn't seem like a good value for the price. Rant over.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if Congress should change the charter of the US Mint...
I honestly believe that will only make things worse for the collector. It feel it would not make anything less expensive. Seigniorage on circulation strikes gives the Mint a buffer for its profit margins that would not be available to a private mint. We must also remember that the cost of a coin is not just its material or melt value. I cannot imagine a private company reducing costs without having to resort to offshore manufacturing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3510 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is an old Mississippi River boat saying, "If you look around the table and don't know who the mark is, it's you".

Applies to US Mint offerings too....
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is an old Mississippi River boat saying, "If you look around the table and don't know who the mark is, it's you".
Pillar of the Community
United States
1554 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will buy the 2021 silver quarter slab from a broke up set and that will be it. I'm ending my silver proofs at 2021. I will just buy the clad proof quarters from now on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my silver proof set in the mail today. I look at it and all I can think of is "Is this it"?

I feel like an alcoholic who needs to drink a beer on the way to Sunday morning mass. Coin addiction: ugg!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got my silver proof set in the mail today. I look at it and all I can think of is "Is this it"?
Looks a little limp with the missing quarters.
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As much as I hate to admit it, I'm actually thinking I'll buy the silver proof set this year, my first (and maybe only (except 2026 for the US birthday)) ever!

The price is egregious, but for my type set I want silver proofs, and this gets me an ATB, dime, WCTD, and Kennedy all in the fancy 0.999 spec, and covers me for a shield cent and the modern portrait Jefferson.
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,212Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05