Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880-S $1 Morgan Dollar #4

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,827Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3375 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A $180 coin in a plastic coin flip?

I always ship higher priced coins in flips. How else would you package a raw coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1573 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I always ship higher priced coins in flips. How else would you package a raw coin?

Coins can be scratched when removing from a (tight fitting) plastic flip.
Personally, I would send high value coins in cardboard jewelry boxes, padded with fluffy wool.
Edited by NumisEd
04/03/2021 12:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, rats! That looked like a great coin in the first pics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10690 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
9952 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at your image and the seller's image side by side you can see the tell-tale post processing smudges where the hits are. Very unprofessional...
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
8099 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I guess when it rains, it rains in bunches. This seller received my return and reported that I took the coin out of the packaging and damaged it. Then gave me a refund for half the price I paid. I called ebay and told them that the coin came well packed in an outer cardboard mailer, an inner bubble mailer, a ziplock and a flip that was sealed with a clear round sticker. I removed the cardboard mailer, the bubble mailer, the ziplock and examined and photographed the coin in the flip, never breaking the seal in the flip. I sent the coin back with the seal intact in the ziplock, and both mailers.

I feel like this seller scammed me twice, once by posting misleading photos, and then by lying that I had opened the package and damaged the coin.

Ebay issued me a courtesy refund for the half of the price the seller didn't refund me, but still mad by the way this went down.

I posted in detail what happened and called the seller a crook in the feedback. Ebay removed the feedback after a few minutes.

The seller is canyoncity_coins in Colorado. They have sterling feedback, but feel defrauded by this seller.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4612 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ohh I know canyon city, I've never bought from them but their photographs are definitely juiced up. Contrast is pumped way up and lighting is always at the perfect angle. I've been tempted by a couple of their coins but never bit. I'm glad you posted this, it cemented my distaste for them.

Sorry this happened to you
Pillar of the Community
United States
9952 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I'm familiar with this seller as well. They have all these Morgan and Peace dollars fresh from original rolls. I know the original roll stuff is likely the same as the safe in pottery barn but I've been tempted to bite as well but certainly won't now.

Also, the ebay feedback system is very misleading when a seller such as this one has a 100% positive feedback rating with no negs or neutrals until you look at the revised feedback count. 63 negatives/neutrals have been removed.....

Glad you got all your money back NS!
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
3375 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't realize he was the seller! I just sold him an item last month, and I was suspicious when I looked at his items for sale. Now I know he's going to juice his photos and sell my coin as one fresh from an original roll...
Pillar of the Community
United States
5613 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting story.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1784 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also glad I did a CCF search for Canyon city . found this reading interesting as I was considering several of their listings.

I looked at numerous bidders on numerous coins and walked away with a strong sense of shill bidding. Shame .

Anyone else with personal experience or knowledge? If as advertised and shown I would purchase. I was tempted to make a sample purchase but have not pulled the trigger.

Many many very positive feedbacks apparently from buyers who appear not to be newbies.

Edited by southsav
05/15/2021 11:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Emaroots23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow..this is unbelievable! I'm so glad I never purchased from them. I posted a photo of one of their coins and you can tell it is clearly photo shopped. Thanks to a another poster on here he added a link to this thread. I often wonder how some people sleep at night..and then I realize the devil rocks them to sleep.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes, nice to see this thread as I was considering buying a "fresh" 1894o Morgan from them. Definitely not buying now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4381 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had good luck with Canyon City. Their coins are expensive, and the photos are glamor shots, but do tend to be top 25% for the grade. Generally a reputable seller and they do have return privileges.
Edited by fenton
07/30/2021 07:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10690 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lighting an angle hid the scratches. I dont think its that bad but it would hold it out of the MS65 box. so if you paid that $$ then returning it is definitely the right move
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,827Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05