Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Silver Stackers Should Buy Slabbed MS65 Modern Coins

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,519Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4223 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how much I trust the price guides, I purchased an MS 66 JFK (silver) for $18, so I think the price guide maybe way too high.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8819 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I purchased an MS 66 JFK (silver) for $18, so I think the price guide maybe way too high.

That's an extremely low price. I dunno who you bought that from, but you stole that at that price.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4963 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Instead of buying silver, you should be spending your money on our services!"

- PCGS
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10000 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Instead of buying silver, you should be spending your money on our services!"

- PCGS

It's always about making money it seems.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
4223 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That's an extremely low price. I dunno who you bought that from, but you stole that at that price.

@Grape, I wish I had a secret, but it was just a regular ebay purchase.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2999 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a silver stacker myself, while not as ambitious as other members, I believe it's safe to say that the majority of silver stackers collect silver, for the silver. A raw silver coin that is MS65, would be worth as much as a PCGS MS65 silver coin according to that logic. Having it verified by PCGS, or buying a PCGS, or really any other slabbed coin, would simply be cost ineffective. Those coins presented gained value because of the toning.

As said by the others, I also respectfully disagree with the claim made by the OP. This seems like a ruse to spend more money on unnecessary services.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
whether I'm buying bullion or coins, I buy them for the reasons that I determine, not because someone tells me to.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19144 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As with any other coin (bullion or otherwise),
the potential value of the coin after grading has to justify the grading and return shipping fees.
Most collectors seem to set that potential value in the $100-$200 range.

Doesn't matter if a bullion coin may be MS-69 or -70, if the potential value when graded is less than (say) $150.

If the potential value graded is not high enough, then
don't bother the get the coin graded. Value-wise, you are wasting your money.

If you can grade accurately and confidently enough for yourself, then do so and save the fees.
For American coins, we all have Photograde as a resource, to help our efforts.
Slabbing works best when you are buying or selling on eBay, where you can't inspect for yourself before buying. Also, may facilitate a sale for the right price at public auction, such as Heritage.

Such are the reasons why I tend to resist PCGS marketing hype.
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased 4 MS69 2012 RP ASE slabbed back in the day from dealers when they were dumping them for $75 each, recently sold them on the bay for $150 each. I got rid of all my slabbed moderns, they take up to much room.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19144 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2021  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They way I see it, those who collect slabbed (silver or gold) modern coins are not really silver stackers.
They are a class of collector unto themselves.
Nothing wrong with that.

To my way of thinking, a silver stacker is an accumulator of bullion silver, not necessarily interested in pristine slabbed coins. I have stacked a few ounces of platinum in this way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They way I see it, those who collect slabbed (silver or gold) modern coins are not really silver stackers.
They are a class of collector unto themselves.
Nothing wrong with that.

I agree. They are not stacking silver. They are buying nice coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
518 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To my way of thinking, a silver stacker is an accumulator of bullion silver

There are many types of collections... slabs, raw circulation coins, NCLT, Royal Doulton figurines, rare guitars etc... Rarely do the rules and measures from one collection transfer to another. Just because the root "collectible" is a coin does not equate bullion, NCLT, raw circulating and slabbed coins. Each are valid things to collect if that is what moves you... but I would hesitate to use slabbed coins... even slabbed ASEs... as a bullion stacking vehicle.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PDKHort to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO a better alternative to slabbed modern silver coins is to research and purchase classic silver (or gold) Key Date coins from a multitude of series. This way one can take advantage of long-running numismatic value + the value of the precious metal. You are doubling your chances at maintaining or gaining value in addition to Keys having a documented performance history AND constant demand should you wish to sell. Yes, these will have a more expensive entry point when purchasing and you will have a much smaller "stack" choosing quality OVER quantity. I sold all my conventionally-stacked silver in Feb '21 when I'd had enough of increasing premiums and every Tom,Dick and Harry starting to flock to silver...that was MY exit from stacking. Proceeds from the sale were channeled into carefully-chosen gold and silver Key Dates for my growing collections.
Learn More...
United States
105024 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smart move PDKHort. You make a good argument for numismatic value over melt price.
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,519Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05